Mats Löfdahl writes: [I fear my answer from yesterday has been lost. Reposted, therefore.] > It was different this time. When I connected as mats (bash), I first > got the same uname error message as for root (BusyBox). But I knew > that it _had_ worked, so I tried again and got the ugly dired buffer. > > So I did the same experiment with root in a fresh instance of > emacs. This generated the uname error but did _not_ work at the second > attempt. > > The debug buffers from the two sessions are here: > > http://www.solarphysics.kva.se/~mats/debug1.txt - root/BusyBox > http://www.solarphysics.kva.se/~mats/debug2.txt - mats/bash Looks like there is a race condition. Could you, please, check the appended patch? Best regards, Michael.