Stefan Monnier writes: >> Caveats: Because the call is now synchronous "netstat" will hold up >> Emacs until it competes. Also, font-locking could be better. If this >> patch is accepted I'll work on that as well. > > [ Please make (unified) context diffs rather than plain diffs. I.e. pass > the "-u" arg to `cvs diff'. ] Fixed. Sorry about that. > I think using async processes is preferable, and was done specifically > to avoid holding up Emacs until the process completes. The attached patch runs netstat asynchronously and all of the essentially instantaneous processes synchronously (ifconfig, iwconfig, arp and route).