Ted Zlatanov writes: > It worries me that we're inventing (yes, including the > nnmail-split-fancy usage) something that looks like but isn't at all a > real regex positional replacement. Can we find out from emacs-devel if > this can be done better through ELisp or even C and then apply the fix > both to your code and to nnmail-split-fancy? We'll also need to find > out if XEmacs can do something similar, since Gnus supports it as well. > > I think the description you gave is probably not specific enough to give > us the best answers; can you write a more formal definition of how > my-expand should behave? Ok, I'll try: The idea is to use the match-data informations to expand positional parameters in any string, where replace-match only works on the one the match occurs. 1. my-expand take a string as argument, 2. if there is no captured match then return the argument, 3. if the string does not contains positional parameters then return the argument, 4. build a new sting from the argument by replacing all the positional parameters by their captured value, 5. return the new string. Is this what you asked ? Regards. -- Daniel Dehennin Récupérer ma clef GPG: gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x6A2540D1