all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* document when no hook is available
@ 2011-12-09 20:40 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-12-09 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(emacs) Specifying File Variables")
at

       Often, however, it is a mistake to enable minor modes in file local
    variables.  Most minor modes, like Auto Fill mode, represent individual
    user preferences.  If you want to use a minor mode, it is better to set
    up major mode hooks with your init file to turn that minor mode on for
    yourself alone (*note Init File::), instead of using a local variable
    list to impose your taste on everyone.

please also mention what to do in ones init file when there is no such
hook available.

E.g., the user wants all ZZZ mode files to be in flyspell-prog-mode. The
problem is the ZZZ-mode author didn't remember to add a hook, and we are
on a read only system where all we can change is our .emacs.

* Re: document when no hook is available
@ 2011-12-10  2:45 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-12-10  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jidanni; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 21:40,  <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> E.g., the user wants all ZZZ mode files to be in flyspell-prog-mode. The
> problem is the ZZZ-mode author didn't remember to add a hook, and we are
> on a read only system where all we can change is our .emacs.

Doesn't

  (defadvice ZZZ-mode (after ZZZ-add-hook activate)
     (run-mode-hooks 'ZZZ-mode-hook))

suffice?

    Juanma

* Re: document when no hook is available
@ 2011-12-10 10:56   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-12-10 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: lekktu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

JB>   (defadvice ZZZ-mode (after ZZZ-add-hook activate)
JB>      (run-mode-hooks 'ZZZ-mode-hook))
Ah, (info "(elisp) Advising Functions")... perfecto. Thanks!

* Re: document when no hook is available
@ 2011-12-10 11:13   ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-12-10 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Most of the time when you advice a function, there's a chance someone
else has a similar problem, and reporting to upstream might be a good
thing to do. When the mode maintainer disagrees with your enhancements
you can still stick with advice :)

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: document when no hook is available
       [not found] <mailman.76.1323515632.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-12-11 13:25 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-12-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: philipp.haselwarter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, sacharya

PH> Most of the time when you advice a function, there's a chance someone
PH> else has a similar problem, and reporting to upstream might be a good
PH> thing to do. When the mode maintainer disagrees with your enhancements
PH> you can still stick with advice :)
I was using http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/xquery-mode.el vintage 2005.
OK, I'll CC the author.