With the esc-face.1 below, (woman-find-file "esc-face.1") produces bold \ backslash with the "\" not in bold, where I expected it would be (man-db+groff makes it bold). I think woman.el.esc-face.diff below could correct this. 2012-05-24 Kevin Ryde * woman.el (woman-decode-region): Replace escaped-escapes using `subst-char-in-region' so bold or underline on \e is preserved. I struck this in some perl pod2man output. It uses \e for backslashes in "verbatim" output paragraphs (bits of sample code usually). Those parts are in ".ft CW" font, which comes out of woman.el as woman-unknown face (which is red). But the face wasn't on the backslashes.