all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16031: references to X windows (sic)
@ 2013-12-02 19:35 Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2013-12-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16031

	As of babc40c41c5c, Emacs uses “X windows” when refering to the
	X Window System (also known as X Window or simply X) in
	user-visible output (mostly documentation strings.)  I believe
	that these references should use one of the proper names
	instead.

	The files affected are as follows.

configure.ac
lisp/select.el
lisp/startup.el
lisp/term/ns-win.el
lisp/textmodes/artist.el
lisp/w32-common-fns.el
src/dispnew.c
src/frame.c
src/keyboard.c
src/w16select.c
src/w32fns.c
src/w32select.c
src/xfns.c

$ grep -irnFC1 --include=\*.{ac,c,el} -- 'X windows'

	As an aside, when ${x_includes} and ${x_libraries} are ‘NONE’,
	configure produces:

  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE

	There, NOWHERE seems somehow more appropriate.

--
FSF associate member #7257

* bug#16031: references to X windows (sic)
@ 2019-08-15  2:31 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-15  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Shmakov; +Cc: 16031

Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.net> writes:

> 	As of babc40c41c5c, Emacs uses “X windows” when refering to the
> 	X Window System (also known as X Window or simply X) in
> 	user-visible output (mostly documentation strings.)  I believe
> 	that these references should use one of the proper names
> 	instead.

I think it's fine to refer to X as "X windows" in Emacs -- I don't think
there's much chance of confusion here, so I'm closing this as a "wontfix".