all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Manual Creation of BBDB Records
@ 2013-12-06 12:51 Daniel E. Doherty
       [not found] ` <mailman.8428.1386381113.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2013-12-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

All,

I am trying to migrate Wanderlust to Gnus.  I want to keep contact
information in BBDB, but my experience with auto-create in Wanderlust
was that BBDB got filled with a lot of uninteresting and useless
emails.  I know I can have auto-create filter out what's created, but I
would rather control when a record is created.

What I would like is this:
- If a e-mail arrives from (or cc'ing) know e-mails, it does the pop-up
  window and shows the bbdb record.
- If the record or records are not in bbdb, by hitting the ':' key (or
whatever) it creates a record for me to edit.
- It would be nice also if the e-mail name and address in the header had
different colors based on whether they are known or unknown.

Does anyone have such a setup that they could share with a poor newbie?

Thanks.

--
Daniel E. Doherty

* Re: Manual Creation of BBDB Records
@ 2013-12-07  1:53 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.8428.1386381113.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-12-07  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Daniel E. Doherty" <ded-law@ddoherty.net> writes:

> All,
>
> I am trying to migrate Wanderlust to Gnus.  I want to keep contact
> information in BBDB, but my experience with auto-create in Wanderlust
> was that BBDB got filled with a lot of uninteresting and useless
> emails.  I know I can have auto-create filter out what's created, but I
> would rather control when a record is created.
>
> What I would like is this:
> - If a e-mail arrives from (or cc'ing) know e-mails, it does the pop-up
>   window and shows the bbdb record.
> - If the record or records are not in bbdb, by hitting the ':' key (or
> whatever) it creates a record for me to edit.
> - It would be nice also if the e-mail name and address in the header had
> different colors based on whether they are known or unknown.
>
> Does anyone have such a setup that they could share with a poor newbie?
>
> Thanks.

First of all, are you using BBDB 3? If not, I'd strongly recommend the
newest version.

Then try these settings:

(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd ":")
  'bbdb-mua-display-records)

I may be forgetting some relevant bit of config, but give that a shot.
My setup sounds pretty much just like what you're after.

Dunno about coloring the sender names, though...

Eric

@ 2013-12-11 20:45   ` Daniel E. Doherty
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2013-12-11 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, Eric.  I am still on 2.36 and am reluctant to move to BBDBv3 because
it seems still evolving quite a bit.  I saw referred to somewhere as still
"alpha".  But maybe that's wrong.

I tried to use it once with Asynk and got an error message about an unparsable
bbdb file, and learned that it was because the author has the new version
storing font markup in the db instead of just the records.  That seemed just
wrong to me and scared me back to 2.36, where I still am.

Here is part of my discussion with the Asynk author:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/asynk/hn9jzqjxdbs

Maybe I should try it again some time, but no time right now.

Regards,

--
Daniel E. Doherty