all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Error "Key sequence starts with non-prefix key"
@ 2014-06-04 11:52 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,

with the following expression defining key-bindings (assume
outline-minor-mode-prefix is C-c):

(let ((map (lookup-key outline-minor-mode-map outline-minor-mode-prefix)))
  (define-key map "\C-a" 'show-all)
  (define-key map "\C-\M-l" 'outshine-insert-all-links)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-v C-a") 'outshine-babel-sha1-hash) [...]

I get an error because of the last line (no matter if I use the `kdb'
macro or just write "\C-v\C-a"):

Debugger entered--Lisp error:
(error "Key sequence C-v C-a starts with non-prefix key C-v")

I wonder what I have to do to declare e.g. C-v or C-x as prefixes for
submaps to let me define bindings like 'C-c C-v C-a', i.e. (define-key
map (kbd "C-v C-a") ...) with C-c prefix?

Maybe its simple and RTFM applies, but I couldn't find it ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Error "Key sequence starts with non-prefix key"
@ 2014-06-04 12:13 ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2894.1401885569.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-04 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
> (let ((map (lookup-key outline-minor-mode-map outline-minor-mode-prefix)))
>   (define-key map "\C-a" 'show-all)
>   (define-key map "\C-\M-l" 'outshine-insert-all-links)
>   (define-key map (kbd "C-v C-a") 'outshine-babel-sha1-hash) [...]

> I get an error because of the last line (no matter if I use the `kdb'
> macro or just write "\C-v\C-a"):

It means C-v is already defined. Just undefine it before you try to make
it into a prefix:
(define-key map (kbd "C-v") nil)

--
Nico.

* Re: Error "Key sequence starts with non-prefix key"
@ 2014-06-04 12:38   ` Thorsten Jolitz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2894.1401885569.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-04 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>> (let ((map (lookup-key outline-minor-mode-map outline-minor-mode-prefix)))
>>   (define-key map "\C-a" 'show-all)
>>   (define-key map "\C-\M-l" 'outshine-insert-all-links)
>>   (define-key map (kbd "C-v C-a") 'outshine-babel-sha1-hash) [...]
>
>> I get an error because of the last line (no matter if I use the `kdb'
>> macro or just write "\C-v\C-a"):
>
> It means C-v is already defined. Just undefine it before you try to make
> it into a prefix:
> (define-key map (kbd "C-v") nil)

I see, thanks!

That binding was defined "upstream" in outline.el

,-------------------------------------------------------
| (defvar outline-mode-prefix-map
|   (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
|     (define-key map "\C-v" 'outline-move-subtree-down)
`-------------------------------------------------------

so I could not find it in my own sources, and it was still around
although I defined alternative bindings myself.

PS
and

,------------------
| C-h k C-c C-v RET
`------------------

returned "undefined" because I had actually a different prefix than "C-c"
defined in my init.el ...

--

@ 2014-06-06  8:29     ` Hans BKK
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3112.1402043848.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hans BKK @ 2014-06-06  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:38:55 AM UTC-4, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> so I could not find it in my own sources, and it was still around
> although I defined alternative bindings myself.
>
> PS
> and
> ,------------------
> | C-h k C-c C-v RET
> `------------------
>
> returned "undefined" because I had actually a different prefix than "C-c"
> defined in my init.el ...

I seem to recall a certain method of customizing keybindings enabled one to get a "report printout" of some kind that showed a list of possible conflicts like this.

I think it was one of the package-loading tools, maybe req-package?

Are there other ways to get this functionality that's targeted more specifically to keybindings?

* Re: Error "Key sequence starts with non-prefix key"
@ 2014-06-06  8:38       ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3112.1402043848.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-06  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans BKK; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:
> I seem to recall a certain method of customizing keybindings enabled
> one to get a "report printout" of some kind that showed a list of
> possible conflicts like this.

John Wiegley's bind-key.el (distibuted as part of use-package) defines
describe-personal-keybindings. But that will only work if you use
bind-key for your key definitions.

--
Nico.

@ 2014-06-06  8:47         ` Hans BKK
From: Hans BKK @ 2014-06-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, June 6, 2014 4:38:26 AM UTC-4, Nicolas Richard wrote:
> > I seem to recall a certain method of customizing keybindings enabled
> > one to get a "report printout" of some kind that showed a list of
> > possible conflicts like this.
>
> John Wiegley's bind-key.el (distibuted as part of use-package) defines
> describe-personal-keybindings. But that will only work if you use
> bind-key for your key definitions.

Ah that was it, req-package is just a wrapper for his use-package which incorporates bind-key.

Does bind-key stand alone for those that aren't looking to use the rest of use-package?

@ 2014-06-06  9:12           ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-06  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans BKK; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:
> Does bind-key stand alone for those that aren't looking to use the
> rest of use-package?

You can load bind-key separately, yes.

--
Nico.