all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
To: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Documentation on the command-line?
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 03:24:53 +0100	[thread overview]

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
> Aha, that explains it. Yeah, I remember I had to
> install the gcc documentation (gcc-doc) explicitly for,
> I guess, the same reason.
>
> Yeah, what is the reason?

Most free-software/open-source licenses require someone passing on the
code to pass on the license. The GNU Free Documentation License als
requires them to include a little essay by RMS.  The Debian maintainers
objected to that and labeled GFDL a "non-free" license.  There was a
kerfuffle about it a few years ago.

> In /etc/apt/sources.list, put for example:
>
> deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
>
> But, what is the Emacs pack called? There is no emacs-doc.

emacs24-common-non-dfsg

It's worth installing the info files in my opinion.  The info browsers
(both Emacs' and the standalone one) are very fast and have useful
keybindings.  Emacs' info browser is integrated with the rest of Emacs.
In Emacs if you type C-h K then an Emacs keybinding it'll take you to
the place in the Info manual describing that binding.  That's a useful
adjunt to C-h k because the info manual describes several keys at once,
so you get to know similar keys.  C-h F does the same thing for
functions.  If you install the Glibc info files then if you type C-h S
on a C or C++ library function-name then it'll take you to that
function's documentation.  The same applies to other GCC based languages
if you use the mode for that language and install the info files.

Standalone "info -O tar" will take you to the part of the manual that
describes the command-line options.  That is, it behaves like a Man-page
and shows you command-line stuff first.

BR,
Robert Thorpe