all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mail-yank-original problem
@ 2014-07-10  7:31 saint
From: saint @ 2014-07-10  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everybody.

I am using GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 and since I switched to this version
mail-yank-original changed its behaviour in a "do noting", at least
when invoked from a vm-generated buffer.

Is this behaviour correct?

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO

* Re: mail-yank-original problem
       [not found] <mailman.5181.1404991730.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-07-10 21:23 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-10 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

saint@eng.it writes:

> I am using GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 and since I switched
> to this version mail-yank-original changed its
> behaviour in a "do noting", at least when invoked
> from a vm-generated buffer.

What's a vm-generated buffer?

`M-x mail-yank-original RET' doesn't do anything for me
either.

However, message-yank-original works!

Are you using RMAIL? I'm using Gnus, so in an init file
for gnus-article-mode, I have this:

(let ((the-map gnus-article-mode-map))
  ;; ...
  (define-key the-map  "r" 'gnus-article-followup-with-original) )

That way, I don't have to yank the original manually.

But no, I don't know why mail-yank-original doesn't
work. From the documentation, it seems it is associated
with RMAIL (or Rmail, as it says).

    mail-yank-original is an interactive compiled Lisp
    function in `sendmail.el'.

    (mail-yank-original ARG)

    Insert the message being replied to, if any (in
    Rmail).

It is unclear why there is one such function for mails
(Rmail), and one for messages in general. Does the
message-yank-original work for you?

--
underground experts united

* Re: mail-yank-original problem
@ 2014-07-10 23:03   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-07-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, saint; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> saint@eng.it writes:
>> I am using GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 and since I switched
>> to this version mail-yank-original changed its
>> behaviour in a "do noting", at least when invoked
>> from a vm-generated buffer.
>
> What's a vm-generated buffer?
>
> `M-x mail-yank-original RET' doesn't do anything for me
> either.

VM is another Emacs mail program "Visual Mail".  It's a separate package
not distributed with Emacs.  These days Emacs is configured to use
"Message mode" for composing emails and newsgroup replies.  In the past
"Sendmail mode" was used, that's where mail-yank-original comes from.

The OP could try using Message mode instead of Sendmail mode and see if
C-c C-y works there.  Asking the VM mailing list
viewmail-info@nongnu.org is probably best.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: mail-yank-original problem
       [not found] <mailman.5242.1405033432.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-07-11  0:52 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-11  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> VM is another Emacs mail program "Visual Mail".  It's
> a separate package not distributed with Emacs.  These
> days Emacs is configured to use "Message mode" for
> composing emails and newsgroup replies.  In the past
> "Sendmail mode" was used, that's where
> mail-yank-original comes from.

OK! So perhaps I was right even though I didn't know
that. But - I quick Googling and that should probably
be "View Mail", right? "Visual Mail" is much more fun,
so actually that was a disappointment.

Here are some screenshots from View Mail:

http://www.nongnu.org/viewmail/screenshots.html

I think my Gnus looks much better:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/dumps/new/

By the way, is "RMAIL" (caps only) the correct
designation for the Emacs module? Most often I think
the normal way of writing names - like Michael - should
be applied to software as well. UNIX, USENET, RMAIL, it
doesn't look good. There is a shell tool called rmail
(an "MTA->UUCP remote mail handle") but that's all
lowercase so it shouldn't be a source of confusion
(besides, I think rmail isn't on everyone's lips
either). In the sendmail.el documentation they used
Rmail.

--

@ 2014-07-11  6:57     ` saint
From: saint @ 2014-07-11  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg, saint

Robert Thorpe writes:

 > These days Emacs is configured to use
 > "Message mode" for composing emails and newsgroup replies.  In the past
 > "Sendmail mode" was used, that's where mail-yank-original comes from.
 >
 > The OP could try using Message mode instead of Sendmail mode and see if
 > C-c C-y works there.  Asking the VM mailing list
 > viewmail-info@nongnu.org is probably best.

This explains all. Thank you! I leave changing "sendmail mode" into
"message mode" to vm mantainer :)

--
ing. Gian Uberto Lauri
Senior Solution Developer

Sun Java Certified Programmer

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica spa
Corso Stati Uniti 23/C, 35127 Padova (PD)

Tel. +39-049.8283.517         | main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],
Fax  +39-049.8283.569		  |    (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}
http://www.eng.it          	  |          David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs

@ 2014-08-08 14:00 ` Hans BKK
From: Hans BKK @ 2014-08-08 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I actually don't know why Emacs is so conservative color-wise. Colors are helpful (productive), but they also make you feel good, so you get even more productive.

Emacs' traditions precede GUI/mouse/color support. Everyone's taste differs. It's not designed to be 'optimal' for some imagined target audience other than the taste of the developer(s).

Look at it as a 'toolkit' allowing you to config/code your own editor. If that seems burdensome or too difficult then maybe another editor more in tune with the current mainstream zeitgeist would suit you better,

No comment on the 'kids & girls'.

* Re: mail-yank-original problem
@ 2014-08-08 17:34   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-08 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:

>> I actually don't know why Emacs is so conservative
>> color-wise. Colors are helpful (productive), but they
>> also make you feel good, so you get even more
>> productive.
>
> Emacs' traditions precede GUI/mouse/color support.
> Everyone's taste differs.

Colors don't have anything to do with the GUI or the
mouse. When I was a kid there were colors on the PC but
no GUI, while the Mac had a GUI in Finder (which
couldn't be used without the mouse), nonetheless
everything was black and white. I never use either GUI
or mouse and haven't mentioned either.

> Look at it as a 'toolkit' allowing you to config/code
> your own editor. If that seems burdensome or too
> difficult then maybe another editor more in tune with
> the current mainstream zeitgeist would suit you
> better

?!

Here is 52 files of configuration and extension in
Elisp:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs.html

> No comment on the 'kids & girls'.

OK, then I'm not going to comment either on the quality
of your post. Or did I...

--
underground experts united