all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Key Combination by Mistake in gnus
@ 2014-07-10 10:29 Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-07-10 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I made a wrong key combination somehow and all mails in a particular
group is marked O.

I tried M-x undo-only in the group buffer, but it says that it's a read
only buffer.

Any way to fix this an return it to normal?

It marked like 1000 mails as "O"

Thanks

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Key Combination by Mistake in gnus
@ 2014-07-10 14:42 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-10 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> I made a wrong key combination somehow and all mails in a particular
> group is marked O.
>
> I tried M-x undo-only in the group buffer, but it says that it's a read
> only buffer.
>
> Any way to fix this an return it to normal?
>
> It marked like 1000 mails as "O"
>
> Thanks

There's a separate gnus-undo command that usually works for me.
Typically I use it when I hit "c" on a group by accident.

* Re: Key Combination by Mistake in gnus
@ 2014-07-10 15:01   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2014-07-10 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:
>
>> I made a wrong key combination somehow and all mails in a particular
>> group is marked O.
>>
>> I tried M-x undo-only in the group buffer, but it says that it's a read
>> only buffer.
>>
>> Any way to fix this an return it to normal?
>>
>> It marked like 1000 mails as "O"
>>
>> Thanks
>
> There's a separate gnus-undo command that usually works for me.
> Typically I use it when I hit "c" on a group by accident.

Hitting "Q" also exits a group discarding previous changes.

--
Alberto

* Re: Key Combination by Mistake in gnus
@ 2014-07-10 15:54   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-07-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> There's a separate gnus-undo command that usually works for me.
> Typically I use it when I hit "c" on a group by accident.

Oh, my god, for real. That really saved me.

Thanks a lot.

I have backups, but as it was one group, I pictured an all nighter.

Thanks a bunch, again.

--

       [not found] <mailman.5179.1404988221.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-07-10 21:57 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5249.1405036941.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-10 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> I made a wrong key combination somehow and all mails
> in a particular group is marked O.
>
> I tried M-x undo-only in the group buffer, but it
> says that it's a read only buffer.
>
> Any way to fix this an return it to normal?
>
> It marked like 1000 mails as "O"

I read you already fixed this, but still I'd like to
tell you of another way.

To undo things in general can be a bit unsafe (and
frustrating), not to mention the method "don't save,
then reboot/reselect" - it is all unpredictable, so use
it, fine, but probably they shouldn't be relied upon or
used habitually.

Instead, why don't you just mark the articles to
whatever you want them to be?

For example, to mark them as unread, use
gnus-summary-put-mark-as-unread-next which for me is
M M u n. You said you marked "like 1000" mails "O". To
instead mark them as unread, go to the top of the
summary buffer, then hit `C-u 1000 M M u n'.

If you want them to be marked something else the exact
same principle will work, you'll just have to check the
documentation for the exact function/keystroke.

--
underground experts united

* Re: Key Combination by Mistake in gnus
@ 2014-07-11  0:02   ` Esben Stien
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5249.1405036941.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-07-11  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Instead, why don't you just mark the articles to whatever you want
> them to be?
>
> For example, to mark them as unread, use
> gnus-summary-put-mark-as-unread-next which for me is M M u n. You said
> you marked "like 1000" mails "O". To instead mark them as unread, go
> to the top of the summary buffer, then hit `C-u 1000 M M u n'.

Well, not so easy.

I accidently hit a combination that caused all 1800 mails which were
marked "!" in a group to be marked "O". These mails that were marked "!"
were intermingled in between all read mails and all expired mails, so
there were really no option to "just select them".

--

@ 2014-07-11  1:59     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-11  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

>> There's a separate gnus-undo command that usually works for me.
>> Typically I use it when I hit "c" on a group by accident.
>
> Oh, my god, for real. That really saved me.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> I have backups, but as it was one group, I pictured an all nighter.
>
> Thanks a bunch, again.

Nothing's quite so welcome as an "undo" right when you *really* need it
:)

Much as I love gnus, I don't rely on its marks for critical stuff, they
just seem too easy to screw up. You might consider org-capture or
something similar...

@ 2014-07-11 11:51     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-11 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> I accidently hit a combination that caused all 1800
> mails which were marked "!" in a group to be marked
> "O". These mails that were marked "!"  were
> intermingled in between all read mails and all
> expired mails, so there were really no option to
> "just select them".

Yes, I know it worked in this case but what if you had
saved the metadata file(s) and exited Gnus, and then
realized the mistake? To undo things shouldn't be
relied upon and certainly not "don't save-quit-cross
your fingers-restart". It is just the way I see it. If
you use marks a lot and they are important to you,
perhaps a better idea is to copy the file(s) with that
data out of the way (a backup) when you start Emacs,
or have your system schedule something to that extent?
Also, perhaps a good idea is to use mail-splitting so
you don't end up with 1800 mails in one group? That way
you'll be less vulnerable. Just saying.

--
underground experts united