all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bundled ELPA package vs autoloads
@ 2014-11-06 19:53 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2014-11-06 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Currently, we have ada-mode 4.01 in the installed emacs, and 5.1.6 in
ELPA.

One user just noticed that the autoloads for 4.01 are still present when
the ELPA package is installed. This is not a huge problem, but it does
confuse things when upgrading; old keybindings appear to work, but
should be changed, etc.

This will also be a problem for future bundled ELPA packages, when a new
version is installed from ELPA.

I'm not clear what the right solution is for ada-mode 4.01 now; perhaps
just living with it.

For future bundled ELPA packages, some way to _not_ load the autoloads
for the bundled packages if a newer version is installed should be
provided.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: bundled ELPA package vs autoloads
@ 2014-11-06 19:58 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-11-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stephen Leake writes:
> One user just noticed that the autoloads for 4.01 are still present when
> the ELPA package is installed. This is not a huge problem, but it does
> confuse things when upgrading; old keybindings appear to work, but
> should be changed, etc.

That's the same problem that haunts Org in the same situation as was
discussed previously.

> This will also be a problem for future bundled ELPA packages, when a new
> version is installed from ELPA.

No, in that case the older package should never be activated.

> I'm not clear what the right solution is for ada-mode 4.01 now; perhaps
> just living with it.
>
> For future bundled ELPA packages, some way to _not_ load the autoloads
> for the bundled packages if a newer version is installed should be
> provided.

Certainly.  And that's the reason why bundled packages should not simply
be treated as "sources that get pulled into the tarball from another
repo", IMHO.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: