() Eli Zaretskii () Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:27:43 +0200 I see nothing wrong with that. DWIM-ish operation is not for everybody, certainly for a package as flexible as Git. I agree, nothing wrong. Still, not as nice as it could be. Probably in younger days, i would have said: "Lame". The relevant question is: would this be useful in enough use cases to justify the feature, at least as an option? I think the time when people would respect VC imposing its unified model on the underlying VCS is past. When they were all centralized, such an imposition lifted the burden of having to remember fiddly details such as command-line options. But the schism between centralized and distributed is here, and here to stay, and so a unified model spanning these models now is an impediment to fully exploiting the tools. It's a lose/lose situation when DWIM must straddle disparate M based on disparate models. That said, within any particular camp (cent or dist), some unification is still possible (and desirable). But the thrust should be away from DWIM and towards clean primitives exposed directly to the user. Centralized camp is already happy. Distributed is only one lacuna away from happiness (IMHO). So to answer the question: IMHO, no. > Thus, long term, such a feature will be underused, > undertested and definitely underappreciated. Please note how you put 3 assumptions one on top of the other, and then made a conclusion out of that, which is basically founded on nothing but your own experience and preferences. Noted. I have only those to offer, made w/ my limited and imperfect understanding of other human beings, and those are offered in the best good faith way possible. I'm sorry i can't do better. What exactly would be the difference between the proposed vc-push and invoking "git push" via M-! ? Well, the following is not exact, but i bet if ‘vc-push’ were to appear, it would become so (i.e., Someone might Write Code). :-D I suppose there could be options, e.g., like how ‘vc-diff’ has ‘vc-diff-switches’. Also, commands are nice places for hooks. I imagine a brach-display buffer (e.g., ‘M-x git-show-branch’ i posted some time back) could be updated via such a hook. All these possibilities are absent from the meager ‘M-!’ path. Anyway, i'll sit down now. RMS: i hope you can move your pov. -- Thien-Thi Nguyen ----------------------------------------------- (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: (defun responsep (type via) (case type (technical (eq 'mailing-list via)) ...)) ---------------------------------------------- GPG key: 4C807502