all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line
@ 2015-07-09  4:03 don.rozenberg
From: don.rozenberg @ 2015-07-09  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am running emacs 24.5.1 on an Apple Mini with 4 GB of memory and Yosemite.  When the initial frame is displayed the top line is not present no matter what I put in buffer.  If I create a new frame the top line is visible.  I could just create a new frame and abandon the original, but that is unattractive.

As emacs starts a smaller window appears at the upper left of the screen and includes icons.  That window quickly disappears and is replaced by a frame located, colored, sized, and using my font according to my .emacs and sports no icons but it also does not display the first line of the the scratch buffer.  I am happy with the appearance of the window except for the missing line. The missing line persists no matter what I load into the buffer.

If I then create a new frame, with the same dimensions specified in my .emacs, the contents are nearly the same as the previous frame but moved down one line to display the first line but missing the bottom line. Also, the new frame appears to be one line smaller.  I think I probable have done something mistaken in my .emacs.

It appears that the original frame is 81x44 while the new frame is 81x43 whilst my .emacs specifies a height of 45 for both initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist. This is very confusing!

I would appreciate any suggestion about how to make the initial frame appear as expected.

Thanks in Advance

* Re: emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line
@ 2015-07-09 11:49 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-07-09 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

don.rozenberg@gmail.com writes:

> I am running emacs 24.5.1 on an Apple Mini with 4 GB of memory and
> Yosemite.  When the initial frame is displayed the top line is not
> present no matter what I put in buffer.  If I create a new frame the
> top line is visible.  I could just create a new frame and abandon the
> original, but that is unattractive.

It was a bug occuring a few versions ago.
It was corrected or at least inactive in emacs-version "24.3.1" and a
couple of previous versions.

Just resizing the emacs window was enough for it to recompute and
redisplay the geometry correctly.

> As emacs starts a smaller window appears at the upper left of the
> screen and includes icons.  That window quickly disappears and is
> replaced by a frame located, colored, sized, and using my font
> according to my .emacs and sports no icons but it also does not
> display the first line of the the scratch buffer.  I am happy with the
> appearance of the window except for the missing line. The missing line
> persists no matter what I load into the buffer.
>
> If I then create a new frame, with the same dimensions specified in my
> .emacs, the contents are nearly the same as the previous frame but
> moved down one line to display the first line but missing the bottom
> line. Also, the new frame appears to be one line smaller.  I think I
> probable have done something mistaken in my .emacs.
>
> It appears that the original frame is 81x44 while the new frame is
> 81x43 whilst my .emacs specifies a height of 45 for both
> initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist. This is very confusing!
>
> I would appreciate any suggestion about how to make the initial frame
> appear as expected.

Perhaps adding something like:

    (let ((h (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'height))
          (w (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'width)))
      (set-frame-width  (selected-frame) (1- w))
      (set-frame-height (selected-frame) (1- h))
      (set-frame-width  (selected-frame) w)
      (set-frame-height (selected-frame) h))

at the end of ~/.emacs ?

* Re: emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line
@ 2015-07-10 14:23 ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2015-07-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 11:03:27 PM UTC-5, Donald Rozenberg wrote:
> I am running emacs 24.5.1 on an Apple Mini with 4 GB of memory and Yosemite.  When the initial frame is displayed the top line is not present no matter what I put in buffer.  If I create a new frame the top line is visible.  I could just create a new frame and abandon the original, but that is unattractive.
>
> As emacs starts a smaller window appears at the upper left of the screen and includes icons.  That window quickly disappears and is replaced by a frame located, colored, sized, and using my font according to my .emacs and sports no icons but it also does not display the first line of the the scratch buffer.  I am happy with the appearance of the window except for the missing line. The missing line persists no matter what I load into the buffer.
>
> If I then create a new frame, with the same dimensions specified in my .emacs, the contents are nearly the same as the previous frame but moved down one line to display the first line but missing the bottom line. Also, the new frame appears to be one line smaller.  I think I probable have done something mistaken in my .emacs.
>
> It appears that the original frame is 81x44 while the new frame is 81x43 whilst my .emacs specifies a height of 45 for both initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist. This is very confusing!
>
> I would appreciate any suggestion about how to make the initial frame appear as expected.
>
> Thanks in Advance

This may be totally irrelevant, but just now I was poking around and found the following:

 Ns Use Native Fullscreen
   Non-nil means to use native fullscreen on OSX >= 10.7. Hide
   Nil means use fullscreen the old (< 10.7) way.  The old way works better with
   multiple monitors, but lacks tool bar.  This variable is ignored on OSX < 10.7.
   Default is t for OSX >= 10.7, nil otherwise.

This was in customization buffer:

Ns group: GNUstep/Mac OS X specific features.

which is a subgroup of Environment.

I am using "GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org" with OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, on a Mac Book Air 13 (mid 2012)