all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* New Files and directories
@ 2015-10-27  9:35 hadrien.daures
From: hadrien.daures @ 2015-10-27  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I haven't used emacs for a while and I forgot how to refresh the directories content.

When I create new files/directories, my emacs won't show them unless I restart it... pretty annoying... I remember I had a shortcut for that.

I've been looking for two hours to find the command and still nothing, could anybody help me please ?

(I use emacs with CYGWIN_NT-6.1 PTB-IT-08 2.2.1(0.289/5/3) 2015-08-20 11:42 x86_64 Cygwin)

* RE: New Files and directories
@ 2015-10-27 13:40 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-10-27 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hadrien.daures, help-gnu-emacs

> I haven't used emacs for a while and I forgot how to refresh the directories
> content.
>
> When I create new files/directories, my emacs won't show them unless I
> restart it... pretty annoying... I remember I had a shortcut for that.
>
> I've been looking for two hours to find the command and still nothing, could
> anybody help me please ?

Sounds like you are using Dired (`C-x d'), and you want to refresh
the display of files.  You can use `g' to do that.

`C-h m' in any buffer usually gives you helpful information about
that buffer (mode).  In Dired it mentions `g', among other things:

  Type g to read all currently expanded directories aGain.
  This retains all marks and hides subdirs again that were hidden before.

* Re: New Files and directories
@ 2015-10-27 14:00 ` Charles Curley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Curley @ 2015-10-27 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 02:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
hadrien.daures@gmail.com wrote:

> I haven't used emacs for a while and I forgot how to refresh the
> directories content.
>
> When I create new files/directories, my emacs won't show them unless
> I restart it... pretty annoying... I remember I had a shortcut for
> that.

I take it you are talking about dired mode. You want "g" to refresh the
directory.

If you create a directory from within dired mode ("+") the new
directory shows up when you are done.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

* Re: New Files and directories
@ 2015-10-27 14:11 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-10-27 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hadrien.daures@gmail.com writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I haven't used emacs for a while and I forgot how to refresh the directories content.
>
> When I create new files/directories, my emacs won't show them unless I
> restart it... pretty annoying... I remember I had a shortcut for that.
>
> I've been looking for two hours to find the command and still nothing, could anybody help me please ?
>
> (I use emacs with CYGWIN_NT-6.1 PTB-IT-08 2.2.1(0.289/5/3) 2015-08-20 11:42 x86_64 Cygwin)

Type "g" while in dired.
When I'm looking for something new, I find the sort key (s) more useful.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: New Files and directories
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-10-27 14:29 ` hadrien.daures
From: hadrien.daures @ 2015-10-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oh my god ! Thank you so much guys... you were right... I just had to keypress "g"... I was trying all CTRL-x... but didn't try single keys... You guys made my day thanks again !

xXxXxXx

* Re: New Files and directories
@ 2015-10-27 15:38   ` Dan Espen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1182.1445997306.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-10-27 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hadrien.daures@gmail.com writes:

> Oh my god ! Thank you so much guys... you were right... I just had to
> keypress "g"... I was trying all CTRL-x... but didn't try single
> keys... You guys made my day thanks again !

Bear in mind that Emacs normally uses control and meta keys until you
get into a mode where typing data is not the normal default.

DIRED, GNUS, BUFFER LIST, and other modes make liberal use of plain keys.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: New Files and directories
@ 2015-10-28  2:04     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1182.1445997306.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-10-28  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>> Oh my god ! Thank you so much guys... you were
>> right... I just had to keypress "g"... I was trying
>> all CTRL-x... but didn't try single keys... You
>> guys made my day thanks again !
>
> Bear in mind that Emacs normally uses control and
> meta keys until you get into a mode where typing
> data is not the normal default.
>
> DIRED, GNUS, BUFFER LIST, and other modes make
> liberal use of plain keys.

But: Those modes sometimes come with very complicated
keystrokes nonetheless!

For example, Emacs-w3m is one I had to do a lot of
re-wiring as complicated keystrokes were there
by default.

Note: Sometimes combinations are actually faster than
single keys (e.g., C-l is faster than F10) but in many
cases the authors of those mode (I think) simply
didn't examine the keyboard for free one-key
keystrokes to associate with common commands.

As it is often said on this list, "FWIW", I wrote this
tool so as to be able to hammer keys all over the
keyboard and have the associated command pop up in the
echo area. This can be used to find a free key fast,
or a key that is assigned, but assigned to something
you realize instantly you'll not use as often as what
you currently have in mind:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/show-command.el

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: New Files and directories
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-10-28  2:19 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-10-28  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hadrien.daures@gmail.com writes:

> I haven't used emacs for a while and I forgot how to
> refresh the directories content.
>
> When I create new files/directories, my emacs won't
> show them unless I restart it... pretty annoying...
> I remember I had a shortcut for that.

Many people have already told you about the shortcut,
so let me join that crowd and tell you that the key
for that is `g' which is `revert-buffer' :)

No, seriously, another alternative is to have dired
automatically and always show an refreshed view.

You can do this with:

    (setq dired-auto-revert-buffer #'dired-directory-changed-p)

If it doesn't work, check out this file and see if you
can figure it out:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/dired-my.el

--

@ 2015-10-28  2:33       ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-10-28  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> As it is often said on this list, "FWIW", I wrote this
> tool so as to be able to hammer keys all over the
> keyboard and have the associated command pop up in the
> echo area. This can be used to find a free key fast,
>     http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/show-command.el

Neat, thanks.

--
Dan Espen