all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 22:20:04 +0800	[thread overview]

"Will O'Brien" <will.08rien@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4 Dec 2015 00:23, "Emanuel Berg" <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:
>>
>> The reason it didn't work earlier was that I tried it
>> on mail.misc and mail.sent which both use nnml and not
>> nntp as does Gmane!
>>
>> Good to know, only optimally, the same should work
>> transparently for both nnml and nntp, right?
>
> I believe it can be configured to work with nnml. You will need a custom
> nnir backend. IIRC namazu and swish(e|++) can both be used here. I used the
> former for a time before moving to mairix, which of course offers another
> solution to the original question, plus is very fast.

Right -- I think the main point, implicit in Will's answer, is that Gnus
doesn't index or search anything by itself. Nnir is its interface to the
search functionality provided by any given backend. Backends like nnimap
and nntp come with their own search abilities, but nnml is just files on
disk: you need a program to do the searching, then nnir will talk to
that program.