all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Default PGP encryption in emacs message mode
@ 2016-08-31  6:19 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2016-08-31  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Is there some way to PGP encrypt mails written using emacs message mode
by default if the required PGP public/private keys are available in the
keyring? I can write my own emacs lisp to achieve this. But, this
feature seems important enough to be a part of emacs message
mode. Hence, I ask.

Thanks,
Arun Isaac.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Default PGP encryption in emacs message mode
@ 2016-08-31 16:26 ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2016-08-31 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 2016-08-31, at 11:49, Arun Isaac wrote:

> Is there some way to PGP encrypt mails written using emacs message mode
> by default if the required PGP public/private keys are available in the
> keyring?

You may like: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DefaultEncrypt

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: Default PGP encryption in emacs message mode
@ 2016-08-31 18:42   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2016-08-31 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> You may like: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DefaultEncrypt

I am familiar with this emacs wiki page. But, I feel that default
encryption is a feature important enough to be built into emacs itself,
and shouldn't need you to write too much emacs lisp on your own.

@ 2016-08-31 18:49     ` Alex Recker
From: Alex Recker @ 2016-08-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This seems to get the job done, provided you have the other needed mml
options set (you can even do that through the customize UI)

    (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-encrypt)

---
Alex

* Re: Default PGP encryption in emacs message mode
@ 2016-09-01  6:59     ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2016-09-01  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 2016-09-01, at 00:12, Arun Isaac wrote:

>> You may like: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DefaultEncrypt
>
> I am familiar with this emacs wiki page. But, I feel that default
> encryption is a feature important enough to be built into emacs itself,
> and shouldn't need you to write too much emacs lisp on your own.

I agree completely.

Some code of the previous versions is integrated into message
behavior already, but currently I don’t have time to integrate the
rest (in particular, writing test suites).  It’s free software, so
go for it if you like :-)

I’m happy to help as far as I can.  (There is no separate Gnus
anymore, for which I had git access, and I don’t know anything about
the Emacs repository.  The previous Gnus test cases such as
gnustest-mml-sec.el don’t seem to exist in the Emacs git
repository.)

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: Default PGP encryption in emacs message mode
@ 2016-09-03 14:07       ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2016-09-03 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Recker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>     (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-encrypt)

When I use this, and if I don't have one of my recipients' public keys,
emacs prompts me to remove that recipient. But, I want it to prompt me
to send the mail without encryption. Is this possible with some mml
setting?