all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#13808: Gnus gratuiously messes with the encoding of attachments
       [not found]                   ` <87fuk73zpr.fsf@gnus.org>
@ 2017-01-25 15:58                     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: 13808

> The mml encoding code is headache-inducing, probably because it was
> written to support non-Mule and XEmacs and modern Emacs at the same
> time.  So you have stuff like:
>
> (defun mm-find-charset-region (b e)
>   "Return a list of Emacs charsets in the region B to E."
>   (cond
>    ((mm-multibyte-p)
>
> [...]
>
>    (t
>     ;; We are in a unibyte buffer, so we futz around a bit.
>
> [...]
>
> 		      (car (last (assq mail-parse-charset
> 				       mm-mime-mule-charset-alist)))))
> 	    (list 'ascii (or charset 'latin-iso8859-1)))))))))
>
> which is part of what's biting us here.
>
> I wonder whether the best solution here is to just rewrite the mml code
> completely.  There's so much...  magic in the various code paths.

And I think the answer is...  yes.  I'll start rewriting.  Shouldn't be
... that much code, should it?  :-)

* bug#13808: Gnus gratuiously messes with the encoding of attachments
@ 2017-01-25 16:26                       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-25 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: 13808

> And I think the answer is...  yes.  I'll start rewriting.  Shouldn't be
> ... that much code, should it?  :-)

Not a lot of rewriting was required, really.  *phew*  It now detect
coding systems reliably, and never rewrites file contents.

* bug#13808: Gnus gratuiously messes with the encoding of attachments
@ 2017-01-25 16:56                         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2017-01-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 13808

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> And I think the answer is...  yes.  I'll start rewriting.  Shouldn't be
>> ... that much code, should it?  :-)
>
> Not a lot of rewriting was required, really.  *phew* It now detect
> coding systems reliably, and never rewrites file contents.

That was quick after the initial delay.  Apparently the partial
handover/retirement of Gmane gave you an opportunity to catch up with
Gnus.

Thanks!

--
David Kastrup