all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* message-smileys boundaries
@ 2018-10-14 23:35 Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2018-10-14 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I’ve loved to see message-smileys in effect and how it allows me to keep
show-paren working when I’m writing texts with smileys (I didn’t think
it would be that simple and straightforward), however, I think it would
be interesting to make them regexps, or to put \\< and \\> somewhere
because currently, if I define the smiley “x)”, it means if the last
word in a parenthesis end with “x”, the parenthesis is not matched,
while if I use “ x)”, and the smiley “x)” is at the beginning of a line,
the smiley is not matched…

Are there other solutions?

* Re: message-smileys boundaries
@ 2018-10-20  8:03 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-10-20  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garreau, Alexandre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-10-15, at 01:35, Garreau, Alexandre <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve loved to see message-smileys in effect and how it allows me to keep
> show-paren working when I’m writing texts with smileys (I didn’t think
> it would be that simple and straightforward), however, I think it would
> be interesting to make them regexps, or to put \\< and \\> somewhere
> because currently, if I define the smiley “x)”, it means if the last
> word in a parenthesis end with “x”, the parenthesis is not matched,
> while if I use “ x)”, and the smiley “x)” is at the beginning of a line,
> the smiley is not matched…
>
> Are there other solutions?

Would that be useful?

http://mbork.pl/2015-10-17_xkcd-541_mode

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: message-smileys boundaries
@ 2018-10-20  8:38   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-10-20  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 10:03:20AM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> On 2018-10-15, at 01:35, Garreau, Alexandre <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’ve loved to see message-smileys [...]
> > Are there other solutions?
>
> Would that be useful?
>
> http://mbork.pl/2015-10-17_xkcd-541_mode

I must admit that I've just cheated myself around the problem,
just ignoring the occasional irritation; most probably this is
what I'm going to do in the future too. Nevertheless... I enjoyed
your mode (and the corresponding xkcd) enormously.

Thanks for the good laugh :-D

Cheers
-- t

* Re: message-smileys boundaries
@ 2018-10-21  2:53   ` Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2018-10-21  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-10-20 at 10:03, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> On 2018-10-15, at 01:35, Garreau, Alexandre <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve loved to see message-smileys in effect and how it allows me to keep
>> show-paren working when I’m writing texts with smileys (I didn’t think
>> it would be that simple and straightforward), however, I think it would
>> be interesting to make them regexps, or to put \\< and \\> somewhere
>> because currently, if I define the smiley “x)”, it means if the last
>> word in a parenthesis end with “x”, the parenthesis is not matched,
>> while if I use “ x)”, and the smiley “x)” is at the beginning of a line,
>> the smiley is not matched…
>>
>> Are there other solutions?
>
> Would that be useful?
>
> http://mbork.pl/2015-10-17_xkcd-541_mode

Maybe, afaik it is through matching and fontification too that
message-smileys work right?  so if what you were trying to say is
tweaking the current implementation so to support, too, one unique
regexp (btw his regexp suffer from just the same problem with the letter
“B”), maybe made with regexp-opt or rx, I’ll try when I have more time,
but not now then.