Paul Eggert writes: > Alex wrote: >> Both Debian Jessie (oldstable) and Ubuntu 14.04LTS include GTK 2.24 and >> 3.10. Is that good enough? > > I also suggest looking at RHEL 5, since Red Hat says they'll support it until > 2020-11-30 (see ). Do we really have to consider RHEL 5, considering that it's on "Extended Life Cycle Support"[1]? If someone is paying extra for post-Production support for a "retired"[1] enterprise distro from 2007, then I doubt that they or their users will be running the latest Emacs, especially a GTK build instead of terminal-only or another toolkit such as Lucid. Even if they are, they can probably install a later version of GTK as well, right? RHEL 5 also only has GCC 4.1.2; is this enough for Emacs? FWIW, RHEL 6, which is still in Production phase, has GTK 2.24. I've attached a patch that bumps both versions and removes obsolete cruft. Bumping the GTK2 version helps the most here. [1] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/690063