all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Default branch selection for nongnu elpa packages
@ 2022-01-05 11:30 Étienne Deparis
From: Étienne Deparis @ 2022-01-05 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

First of all, it’s my first message on this list, I hope I don’t
make
any mistake by selecting this mailing list instead of another. I
take it
as it is listed as "help list" on the nongnu elpa page.

Some time ago, one added a package I maintain on the nongnu elpa
archive. Thank you very much for that :)

Now I’m willing to switch the default branch of that package from
master
to main. From what I read on the melpa repository, it’s automatic
on
their side. However as it seems that nongnu elpa is different than
melpa, I’d like to check with anyone involved in nongnu elpa that
this
change will also be transparent on your side. Or if it is not, let
you
know that you should target now the main branch. There is no hurry
right
now as I’ll continue to support both branch for some times.

All my best,

--
Étienne Deparis

* Re: Default branch selection for nongnu elpa packages
@ 2022-01-05 18:03 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-01-05 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Étienne Deparis [2022-01-05 11:30:35] wrote:
> First of all, it’s my first message on this list, I hope I don’t make
> any mistake by selecting this mailing list instead of another.  I take it
> as it is listed as "help list" on the nongnu elpa page.

This is a users mailing list, so it's more when you want help from
other users.

> Now I’m willing to switch the default branch of that package from master
> to main. From what I read on the melpa repository, it’s automatic on
> their side. However as it seems that nongnu elpa is different than
> melpa, I’d like to check with anyone involved in nongnu elpa that this
> change will also be transparent on your side. Or if it is not, let you
> know that you should target now the main branch. There is no hurry right
> now as I’ll continue to support both branch for some times.

It should just work, yes.  If you want to get rid of the doubt, you can
check https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu-devel/<PKG>.html to see if the new
commits on the new branch appear as they should (tho remember it can
take ~12h for that to happen), or you can ask me to double check what
the cron jobs on `elpa.(non)gnu.org` say.