all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About the activation of minor modes
@ 2022-03-05  2:47 angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-05  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can a minor mode activate another minor-mode or functionalities residing in other files ?  I ask because I would like my tools to be organised according to some categorisation criteria' rather than all being huddled together.

* Re: About the activation of minor modes
@ 2022-03-05  6:20 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-05  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Can a minor mode activate another minor-mode or
> functionalities residing in other files ?

Indeed, you can do whatever you want with and in a minor mode
since it's just a bunch of code like everything else.

Here's an example,

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/caps-back.el

> I ask because I would like my tools to be organised
> according to some categorisation criteria' rather than all
> being huddled together.

Yeah, but what has the minor-mode question to do with that?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: About the activation of minor modes
@ 2022-03-05 15:37   ` angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-05 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Mar 5, 2022, 06:20 by help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:

> angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
>> Can a minor mode activate another minor-mode or
>> functionalities residing in other files ?
>>

> Indeed, you can do whatever you want with and in a minor mode
> since it's just a bunch of code like everything else.
>
> Here's an example,
>
>  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/caps-back.el
>
>> I ask because I would like my tools to be organised
>> according to some categorisation criteria' rather than all
>> being huddled together.
>>

> Yeah, but what has the minor-mode question to do with that?

How does one do things?  Can one extend a minor-mode by calling
 another minor-mode?  I need some simple examples as your code only
defined a minor mode in a single file.

Many thanks

@ 2022-03-05 21:49     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> I need some simple examples as your code only defined
> a minor mode in a single file.

Yeah, but that's a fine way to do it.

BTW even major modes need not involve more than a "only"
a single file, e.g.

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/fps/fpscalc.el

--

@ 2022-03-05 22:20     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-05 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Can one extend a minor-mode by calling another minor-mode?

Well, what do you want to do?

Let's take it from there, rather ...

--

@ 2022-03-06  3:06 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-03-06  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: angelomolina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 23:48, angelomolina--- via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Can a minor mode activate another minor-mode or functionalities residing in other files ?  I ask because I would like my tools to be organised according to some categorisation criteria' rather than all being huddled together.

Hi Angelo,

I don't know if this idea will help or not, but this is how I would
try to find the answer...

The function `find-epp' of eev pretty-prints its argument and shows
the result in a temporary buffer, and this

  (find-epp (macroexpand '

    (define-minor-mode A-mode
      "Help for A-mode"
      :init-value nil
      :global nil
      :lighter " A")

  ))

shows exactly what this `define-minor-mode' does. I _guess_ that it
should be easy to modify the (define-minor-mode A-mode ...) sexp bit
by bit until you get something that turns on and off B-mode when
A-mode is turned on and off - and if you use

  :lighter " B"

in your definition of B-mode then you'll be able to check if B mode
was turned on and off by just looking at the mode line.

Some people like to learn things using this approach and some hate it.
For more info on that, see:

  http://angg.twu.net/find-elisp-intro.html

and for more (basic) info on eev, see:

  http://angg.twu.net/2020-list-packages-eev-nav.html

Cheers and happy hacking =),
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev

* Re: About the activation of minor modes
@ 2022-03-06  5:01   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-06  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs wrote:

> The function `find-epp' of eev pretty-prints its argument
> and shows the result in a temporary buffer, and this
>
>   (find-epp (macroexpand '
>
>     (define-minor-mode A-mode
>       "Help for A-mode"
>       :init-value nil
>       :global nil
>       :lighter " A")
>
>   ))
>
> shows exactly what this `define-minor-mode' does. I _guess_
> that it should be easy to modify the (define-minor-mode
> A-mode ...)

Yeah ... _guess_es are that should be pretty easy: obscure
3rd-party software, `macroexpand', a quoted piece of Lisp (a
note to the OP, a `quote' turns Lisp software into data,
however now the macro ... err, whatever).

Study this example instead.

What do you see happening in the below code?

(abbrev-mode           -1)
(auto-encryption-mode  -1)
(file-name-shadow-mode -1)
(gpm-mouse-mode        -1)
(menu-bar-mode         -1)
(tooltip-mode          -1)

(font-lock-mode)
(transient-mark-mode)

--

@ 2022-03-06  5:26     ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-03-06  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 at 02:04, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Eduardo Ochs wrote:
>
> > The function `find-epp' of eev pretty-prints its argument
> > and shows the result in a temporary buffer, and this
> >
> >   (find-epp (macroexpand '
> >
> >     (define-minor-mode A-mode
> >       "Help for A-mode"
> >       :init-value nil
> >       :global nil
> >       :lighter " A")
> >
> >   ))
> >
> > shows exactly what this `define-minor-mode' does. I _guess_
> > that it should be easy to modify the (define-minor-mode
> > A-mode ...)
>
> Yeah ... _guess_es are that should be pretty easy: obscure
> 3rd-party software, `macroexpand', a quoted piece of Lisp (a
> note to the OP, a `quote' turns Lisp software into data,
> however now the macro ... err, whatever).
>
> Study this example instead.
>
> What do you see happening in the below code?
>
> (abbrev-mode           -1)
> (auto-encryption-mode  -1)
> (file-name-shadow-mode -1)
> (gpm-mouse-mode        -1)
> (menu-bar-mode         -1)
> (tooltip-mode          -1)
>
> (font-lock-mode)
> (transient-mark-mode)

Hi Emanuel,

In the page about the elisp tutorial that comes with eev -

  http://angg.twu.net/find-elisp-intro.html

there's this line here:

  When I announced this on an Emacs mailing list the feedback was
  quite bad. See the thread.

The thread only has messages by you and me.
You are _THE_ example of a person who hates eev... =/

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev

* Re: About the activation of minor modes
@ 2022-03-06  6:08       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-06  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs wrote:

> The thread only has messages by you and me. You are _THE_
> example of a person who hates eev... =/

Haha, I certainly don't hate eev and besides the opposite of
love isn't hate but indifference ...

--

@ 2022-03-07 23:01       ` angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-07 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Mar 5, 2022, 22:20 by help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:

> angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
>> Can one extend a minor-mode by calling another minor-mode?
>>

> Well, what do you want to do?
>
> Let's take it from there, rather ...

I have been making a number of minor modes.  But as the number of modes
are increasing, I would like to start integrating them into a single minor-mode,
but keeping the same names.

Keeping the same names would keep the various  functionalities separate,
and the corresponding code easier to maintain (for instance,  one could simply
 turn a few of the functionalities off).  Would one use one minor-mode calling other
minor-modes, or just have separate files calling the required functions but removing
the minor-mode definition in each file, and having just a parent minor-mode?

Does it make sense (or even possible) to extend a minor-mode?  I do not see much
information to achieve the plan, because the descriptions in the manual seem to focus
on a defining just a single minor-mode in one file.  Perhaps some information on this
could be inserted in the elisp tutorial?

Many thanks

@ 2022-03-08 18:06         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-08 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> I have been making a number of minor modes. But as the
> number of modes are increasing, I would like to start
> integrating them into a single minor-mode

But you decrease modularity that way.

If you want both minor modes for a major mode, just stack them
on top of each other when you enable them.

--

@ 2022-03-08 23:09           ` angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-08 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Mar 8, 2022, 18:06 by help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:

> angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
>> I have been making a number of minor modes. But as the
>> number of modes are increasing, I would like to start
>> integrating them into a single minor-mode
>>

> But you decrease modularity that way.
>
> If you want both minor modes for a major mode, just stack them
> on top of each other when you enable them.

I understand your point.  I can keep the various minor-modes as they are.
But then have a parent minor-mode that activates all of them.  I am putting
the respective files in the same directory.

parent minor-mode (arktika)
minor-mode (toromona)

Would be very grateful if you could show me a sample code.

I have done

----- .emacs -----

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/Opstk/typex/arktika")
(require 'arktika)

----- arktika.el -----

(defun arktika-launch ()
  "desc"
  (require 'toromona)
  (toromona-launch) )

(provide 'arktika)

@ 2022-03-09  0:08             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-09  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> But you decrease modularity that way.
>>
>> If you want both minor modes for a major mode, just stack
>> them on top of each other when you enable them.
>
> I understand your point. I can keep the various minor-modes
> as they are. But then have a parent minor-mode that
> activates all of them. I am putting the respective files in
> the same directory.

I would stack them in the hook for the major mode where they
are intended to be used.

E.g., if I want `auto-fill-mode' and `abbrev-mode' (minor
modes) in `latex-mode' (major mode) I'd put it like this.

(defun latex-mode-hook-f ()
  (auto-fill-mode)
  (abbrev-mode) )
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook #'latex-mode-hook-f)

--

@ 2022-03-09  9:46               ` angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Mar 9, 2022, 00:08 by help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:

> angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
>>> But you decrease modularity that way.
>>>
>>> If you want both minor modes for a major mode, just stack
>>> them on top of each other when you enable them.
>>>

>> I understand your point. I can keep the various minor-modes
>> as they are. But then have a parent minor-mode that
>> activates all of them. I am putting the respective files in
>> the same directory.
>>

> I would stack them in the hook for the major mode where they
> are intended to be used.
>
> E.g., if I want `auto-fill-mode' and `abbrev-mode' (minor
> modes) in `latex-mode' (major mode) I'd put it like this.
>
> (defun latex-mode-hook-f ()
>  (auto-fill-mode)
>  (abbrev-mode) )
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook #'latex-mode-hook-f)

Whilst I have written some minor modes which I enable using
add-hook,  I am not confident how I can call the minor-mode
using something similar to (abbrev-mode), e.g.  (toromona-mode).

Currently I have

  (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook    'toromona-minor-mode)
  (add-hook 'texinfo-mode-hook 'toromona-minor-mode)

* Re: About the activation of minor modes
@ 2022-03-09 10:24               ` angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-03-09 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs