Matt Armstrong writes: > X-debbugs-cc: Philip Kaludercic , Stefan Monnier > > package.el provides `package-quickstart': > > package-quickstart is a variable defined in ‘package.el’. > > Its value is t > Original value was nil > > Precompute activation actions to speed up startup. > This requires the use of ‘package-quickstart-refresh’ every time the > activations need to be changed, such as when ‘package-load-list’ is modified. > > This places a package-quickstart.elc file in `user-emacs-directory' that > is loaded at startup, instead of loading the individual > `user-emacs-directory'/elpa/*-autoloads.el files. > > In practice package.el takes care of calling > `package-quickstart-refresh' as needed. As a user making normal use of > package.el I don't believe I have ever needed to call > `package-quickstart-refresh' manually. > > I am playing with package-vc.el and immediately noticed that functions > like `package-vc-install-from-checkout' and `package-vc-rebuild' do not > call `package-quickstart-refresh'. > > The effect is that package-vc leaves a "stale" package-quickstart.elc in > the `user-emacs-directory', and the user must run > `package-quickstart-refresh' manually. > > Ideally the various `package-vc-*' functions take care of running the > function when necessary. The central function here is `package-vc--unpack-1' so the following patch should take care of that: