Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Theodor Thornhill >> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru, larsi@gnus.org, 59662@debbugs.gnu.org, >> casouri@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca >> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 22:09:10 +0100 >> >> Something like the patch below? Forgive me, but my texinfo-fu is >> limited. > > You have nothing to worry in that department. > >> I'm a little unsure if I xrefed to the correct nodes. Maybe >> it is better to just mention 'beginning-of-defun' rather than the >> variable 'beginning-of-defun-function'? > > I meant a reference to where beginning-of-defun-function is mentioned, > and that is in the ELisp manual. You can see examples of how to > reference another manual in many places in doc/emacs/*.texi; seartch > for "elisp". > Ok, thanks! >> >> +(defun prog-fill-reindent-defun (&optional argument) >> >> + "Refill paragraph or reindent the definition that the point is on. >> >> + >> >> +If the point is in a string, or in a comment, or there is a >> >> +comment on the current line, fill the paragraph that the point is >> >> +in or is on the same line. >> > >> > I don't understand the difference between "point is in a string, or in >> > a comment" and "there is a comment on the current line". >> > >> >> +Otherwise, reindent the definition around or below point." >> > >> > Likewise this one is confusing. >> >> I'm not sure how to word this differently, but I agree it's a mouthful. > > If you explain to me in plain English what you meant, I can suggest a > better wording. > I made another attempt - I think it's a little clearer. What I want to say is something like this (| denotes point): 1. If point is inside a comment, refill the paragraph: // foo bar | baz 2. If point is before a comment, refill the paragraph: | // foo bar baz 3. If point is inside code, reindent the defun: int main(void) { int i; // <-- This will be reindented /* Some very long comment that will _not_ be refilled in this case. */ for(;;) { | int x; } } Anyway, see attached patch: Theo