all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-11 13:02 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-07-11 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I just tried
git revert e96d3c71bdc

And I obtained
hint: Waiting for your editor to close the file...
/Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient: can't find
socket; have you started the server?

/Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient: To start the
server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".

/Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient: No socket or
alternate editor.  Please use:

--socket-name

--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)

--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)

error: There was a problem with the editor
'/Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient'.

Please supply the message using either -m or -F option.

Indeed in my .login
I have (tcsh)

setenv EDITOR /Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient

But I don't understand what's wrong with this setting. In Linux I have

setenv EDITOR /opt/emacs29/bin/emacsclient

And it works fine, I tried to add some parameters to emacsclient in the
above line  but I obtained to many parameters when running source ~/.login

Any idea?
--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-11 15:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:02:16 +0200
>
> I just tried
> git revert e96d3c71bdc
>
> And I obtained
> hint: Waiting for your editor to close the file...
> /Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient: can't find
> socket; have you started the server?
>
> /Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient: To start the
> server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
>
> /Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient: No socket or
> alternate editor.  Please use:
>

> --socket-name
>
> --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
>
> --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
>
> error: There was a problem with the editor
> '/Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient'.
>
> Please supply the message using either -m or -F option.
>
> Indeed in my .login
> I have (tcsh)
>
> setenv EDITOR /Applications/Emacs29.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient
>

> But I don't understand what's wrong with this setting. In Linux I have
>
> setenv EDITOR /opt/emacs29/bin/emacsclient
>
> And it works fine, I tried to add some parameters to emacsclient in the
> above line  but I obtained to many parameters when running source ~/.login
>

> Any idea?

Looks like emacsclient on macOS cannot start the daemon, if there's no
Emacs server already running?

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-11 18:17   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-07-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Looks like emacsclient on macOS cannot start the daemon, if there's no
> Emacs server already running?

Well but I restarted it, without any success.

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the NATO membership of the Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-11 18:51     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-11 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:17:36 +0200
>
> > Looks like emacsclient on macOS cannot start the daemon, if there's no
> > Emacs server already running?
>
> Well but I restarted it, without any success.

Restarted what?  I didn't say anything about restarting.

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-11 20:19       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-07-11 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:17:36 +0200
>>
>> > Looks like emacsclient on macOS cannot start the daemon, if there's no
>> > Emacs server already running?
>>
>> Well but I restarted it, without any success.

> Restarted what?  I didn't say anything about restarting.

The emacs server.

So the command  list-processes returns

server          --      listen  --                        --           Main         (network server on /var/folders/j1/7bbsk0jj6nxd5yxndqwvb1t00000gn/T/emacs501/server)

but emacsclient returns

emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?

emacsclient: To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".

emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

	--socket-name

	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)

	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)

So I am really puzzled.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-12  2:28         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-12  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:19:52 +0200
>
> >> Well but I restarted it, without any success.
>
> > Restarted what?  I didn't say anything about restarting.
>
> The emacs server.
>
> So the command  list-processes returns
>
> server          --      listen  --                        --           Main         (network server on /var/folders/j1/7bbsk0jj6nxd5yxndqwvb1t00000gn/T/emacs501/server)
>
> but emacsclient returns
>
> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
>
> emacsclient: To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
>
> emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:
>

> 	--socket-name
>
> 	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
>
> 	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
>
> So I am really puzzled.

Maybe emacsclient looks for the socket in a place different from the
place where the server places the socket?  Try using --socket-file.

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-12  2:48         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-07-12  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>>> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:17:36 +0200

>>> Well but I restarted it, without any success.
>
>> Restarted what?  I didn't say anything about restarting.
>
> The emacs server.
>
> So the command  list-processes returns
>
> server          --      listen  --                        --           Main         (network server on /var/folders/j1/7bbsk0jj6nxd5yxndqwvb1t00000gn/T/emacs501/server)
>
> but emacsclient returns
>
> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
>
> emacsclient: To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
>
> emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:
>

> 	--socket-name
>
> 	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
>
> 	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
>
> So I am really puzzled.

What is the value of:

  $TEMP

inside Emacs and the shell from which you ran emacsclient?

* Re: MacOs emacsclient does not start
@ 2023-07-12  7:02           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-07-12  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> What is the value of:

>   $TEMP

> inside Emacs and the shell from which you ran emacsclient?

I am running emacs from within a tcsh shell

And

env | grep TMP

TMPDIR=/var/folders/j1/7bbsk0jj6nxd5yxndqwvb1t00000gn/T/

(The same if I call shell)
So I tried either

(setq server-socket-dir (format "/var/folders/j1/7bbsk0jj6nxd5yxndqwvb1t00000gn/T/")))
and then
(server-start)

Or
(setq server-socket-dir (format "/tmp/emacs%d" (user-uid)))
(server-start)

None of it really helped.

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the NATO membership of the Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* [SOLVED] (was: MacOs emacsclient does not start)
@ 2023-07-12 12:37             ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-07-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs