all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* transient-mark-mode goes to edge of screen not end of line
@ 2002-08-11 12:11 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-08-11 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gentlemen, transient-mark-mode's blue area extends to the right edge
of the screen, making some users uncomfortable as it would thus not
reveal any trailing blanks at the ends of lines, and "there's nothing
there but it acts like there is".

Consider what happens when one selects an area with the mouse in your
average browser.  I would expect emacs to act like that.  Uh oh,
marking with the mouse in rxvt seems to go to the edge of screen,
never mind that then.

On the other hand if one were only to put blue up to the end of a
line, groups of newlines would seem unmarked.

Anyway, "explore this issue if you like", else never mind.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: transient-mark-mode goes to edge of screen not end of line
@ 2002-08-12 21:12 ` Paul Repacholi
From: Paul Repacholi @ 2002-08-12 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

jidanni@dman.ddts.net (Dan Jacobson) writes:

> Gentlemen, transient-mark-mode's blue area extends to the right edge
> of the screen, making some users uncomfortable as it would thus not
> reveal any trailing blanks at the ends of lines, and "there's
> nothing there but it acts like there is".

> Consider what happens when one selects an area with the mouse in
> your average browser.  I would expect emacs to act like that.  Uh
> oh, marking with the mouse in rxvt seems to go to the edge of
> screen, never mind that then.

Well, then, it *MUST* be broken ;) if rxvt does it...

You where about to propose that the marked area covers existing
chars only? Modulo EOL stuff...

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

* Re: transient-mark-mode goes to edge of screen not end of line
@ 2002-08-13 23:36   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-08-13 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Gentlemen, transient-mark-mode's blue area extends to the right edge
>> of the screen, making some users uncomfortable as it would thus not
>> reveal any trailing blanks at the ends of lines, and "there's
>> nothing there but it acts like there is".

>> Consider what happens when one selects an area with the mouse in
>> your average browser.  I would expect emacs to act like that.

P> You where about to propose that the marked area covers existing
P> chars only? Modulo EOL stuff...

Yes, or make it the new default with an option to go back to the bad
old way.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780