all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnuemacs over cablemodem has continuous packet traffic
@ 2002-11-28 17:41 Gautam H. Thaker
From: Gautam H. Thaker @ 2002-11-28 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use gnuemacs over SSH over my cable modem. Emacs is run at my office
and displayed on my home Linux machine's X server. Everything works
great, but I notice that when gnuemacs is up there a steady ~ 10
pkts/sec traffic over the cable modem. Ethereal shows these are SSH
packets. As soon as I exit gnuemacs these go away.

I have tried things like not having mouse avoidance mode on, not
displaying time or load in mode line, but still the background traffic
persists.

How can  I make gnuemacs not have this much background traffic? Would
"compression" help or does this only makes packets smaller but does not
eliminate them? Just trying to learn if anyone else sees all this packet
traffic.

I am use emacs version 21.2.2,  RedHat 7.1 with all the udpates.

Thanks.

Gautam

* Re: gnuemacs over cablemodem has continuous packet traffic
@ 2002-11-28 19:31 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2002-11-28 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautam H. Thaker wrote:

>  I use gnuemacs over SSH over my cable modem. Emacs is run at my
>  office and displayed on my home Linux machine's X
>  server. Everything works great, but I notice that when gnuemacs is
>  up there a steady ~ 10 pkts/sec traffic over the cable
>  modem. Ethereal shows these are SSH packets. As soon as I exit
>  gnuemacs these go away.
>
>  I have tried things like not having mouse avoidance mode on, not
>  displaying time or load in mode line, but still the background
>  traffic persists.

Have you tried turning the blinking cursor off ?

--
John Paul Wallington