all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell functions, what is the magic spell.
@ 2003-10-23  8:46 Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2003-10-23  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am in the process of switching to eshell, and my experience so far has
been good, except one thing that I made a function by "(defun
eshell/vi...) like the one Kai did, but after finding the file, it runs
viper mode, (hay, that is what vi supposted to do right). The problem is
that I cannot get the eshell to know my lisp function vi. I put the
elisp into a file, and load-in in .emacs, and it took no effect. I
wonder what is the trick to get eshell notics my functions.

thanks.

steve

* Re: eshell functions, what is the magic spell.
@ 2003-12-03 22:10 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Wu <wus@qwest.net> writes:

> I am in the process of switching to eshell, and my experience so far
> has been good, except one thing that I made a function by "(defun
> eshell/vi...) like the one Kai did, but after finding the file, it
> runs viper mode, (hay, that is what vi supposted to do right). The
> problem is that I cannot get the eshell to know my lisp function vi. I
> put the elisp into a file, and load-in in .emacs, and it took no
> effect. I wonder what is the trick to get eshell notics my functions.

I have this:

(defun eshell/vi (&rest args)
  "Invoke vi, flattening the arguments appropriately."
  (funcall 'find-file (apply 'eshell-flatten-and-stringify args)))

(put 'eshell/vi 'eshell-no-numeric-conversions t)

It seems to work without any further setup.  If you copy the above
verbatim, does it also work for you?

What does your, failing, function look like?

Kai