all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CVS build can't find manual
@ 2004-01-01 21:17 Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-01 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Building Emacs from CVS (21.3.50.1) on Mac OS X 10.3.2 using Apple's
version of gcc-3.3 (./configure --with-x --without-carbon) results in
an apparently functional application.  However, it can't locate the
manuals.  The return is "info file emacs does not exist."  This was
also the case when I built 21.3.50.1 on OS 10.1.5 and Apple's
gcc-2.95.2 for X11.

Emacs is installed into /usr/local/bin/.  The info files appear to be
in /usr/local/info/, which is perhaps not where Emacs expects them?  I
can of course correct this in my .emacs so that Emacs looks in
/usr/local/info/ but I am curiou sas to why this might have happened
in the firstplace.  Was there something I should have done in
configuring the build that would have prevented this?

* Re: CVS build can't find manual
@ 2004-01-02 17:11 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Emacs is installed into /usr/local/bin/.  The info files appear to be
> in /usr/local/info/, which is perhaps not where Emacs expects them?

If an environment variable $INFOPATH is defined, that specifies the
list of directories to look.  If there is no such environment
variable, then Emacs looks at the Lisp variable
Info-default-directory-list.

What's your situation regarding $INFOPATH and
Info-default-directory-list?

Kai