all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to detect if Emacs is running in a terminal
@ 2005-04-15 15:10 Denis Bueno
       [not found] ` <mailman.1688.1113606088.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-04-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there some emacs lisp function that I could call to detect whether
the current emacs process is running from within a terminal or not?

I'd like to be able to change my font-lock faces based on whether
emacs is running in a terminal or not. At the moment I deal with this
in the following way.

I have a .emacs-common which contains code that should be loaded
regardless of the emacs interface. My .emacs is of course loaded by
default whenever I run Emacs in a window (not in a terminal). This
contains various font settings and colors used in the windowed Emacs.
I have a .emacs-terminal which contains various font settings and
colors used in the terminal Emacs.

So, when I want to use Emacs in the terminal, I run:

    emacs -nw -q -l ~/.emacs-terminal

Is there a better way?

--
Denis Bueno