all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
@ 2006-02-22 11:55 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think  I once learned  how to turn  off the way emacs  hides slashes
when  they are around  a world  like /home/  (Use C-u  g to  view this
message  if  you don't  see  forward  slashes  around home)  but  have
forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very often.

But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of something
that doesn't need it.

* Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
       [not found] <mailman.0.1140627650.2853.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-02-23  1:12 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-02-23  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think  I once learned  how to turn  off the way emacs  hides slashes
> when  they are around  a world  like /home/  (Use C-u  g to  view this
> message  if  you don't  see  forward  slashes  around home)  but  have
> forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very often.

> But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of something
> that doesn't need it.

In Gnus, you can inhibit emphasizing of text surrounded by *...*,
_..._, /.../, etc. by setting the `gnus-treat-emphasize' variable
to nil.  Otherwise, you can customize the `gnus-emphasis-alist'
variable so that it might show /.../ (and also other characters).

[INS] [DEL] Customizing Style
Start regexp: /
  End regexp: /
  Show start and end patterns: [ Off ] ==> [ On ]

* Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
@ 2006-02-23  4:28   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-23  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

[...]

>  .  .  .  Otherwise, you can customize the `gnus-emphasis-alist'
> variable so that it might show /.../ (and also other characters).

Nice tip... thanks

* Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
@ 2006-02-23 12:09 ` Reiner Steib
       [not found] ` <mailman.136.1140795529.2853.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-02-23 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 22 2006, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I think  I once learned  how to turn  off the way emacs  hides slashes
> when  they are around  a world  like /home/  (Use C-u  g to  view this
> message  if  you don't  see  forward  slashes  around home)  but  have
> forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very often.

This is a Gnus issue.  Crosspost & Followup-To: gnu.emacs.gnus

> But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of something
> that doesn't need it.

Customize `gnus-emphasis-alist', especially the "Show start and end
patterns" options.

I you don't like to use customize, you could use some modification of
the following code:

;; keep emphasis characters around after emphasis
(require 'gnus-art)
(unless (fboundp 'gnus-emphasis-custom-with-format)
  ;; In Gnus 5.10.7 or 5.11 this is okay by default.
  (setq gnus-emphasis-alist ; <u8zbs8p6iue.fsf@blackbird-2k.MITRE.ORG>
	(mapcar (lambda (x)
		  (list (car x) (nth 2 x) (nth 2 x) (nth 3 x)))
		gnus-emphasis-alist)))
;; <m3u1lu95u7.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>
;; don't do strikethru
(setq gnus-emphasis-alist
      (delq nil
	    (mapcar
	     (lambda (x)
	       (if (eq (car (last x)) 'gnus-emphasis-strikethru)
		   nil
		 x))
	     gnus-emphasis-alist)))
(setq gnus-emphasis-alist
      (delq nil (mapcar
		 (lambda (x)
		   (if (eq (car (last x)) 'gnus-emphasis-italic) nil x))
		 gnus-emphasis-alist)))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
@ 2006-02-23 18:32 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.136.1140795529.2853.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-23 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I think  I once learned  how to turn  off the way emacs  hides slashes
> when  they are around  a world  like /home/  (Use C-u  g to  view this
> message  if  you don't  see  forward  slashes  around home)  but  have
> forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very often.
>
> But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of something
> that doesn't need it.

`C-h k' tells you that `g' runs the command gnus-summary-show-article
and confirms that `C-u g' prevents the article massaging functions from
being run.  You can click on `gnus-sum' in the *Help* buffer to see the
command's implementation and see that in the `C-u' case it binds these
variables:

     (let ((gnus-have-all-headers t)
	  gnus-article-prepare-hook
	  gnus-article-decode-hook
	  gnus-display-mime-function
	  gnus-break-pages)

(And I don't even use gnus.)

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2006-02-24 17:26   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:

>> I think I once learned how to turn off the way emacs hides slashes
>> when they are around a world like /home/ (Use C-u g to view this
>> message if you don't see forward slashes around home) but have
>> forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very
>> often.  But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of
>> something that doesn't need it.
>
> `C-h k' tells you that `g' runs the command
> gnus-summary-show-article and confirms that `C-u g' prevents the
> article massaging functions from being run.  You can click on
> `gnus-sum' in the *Help* buffer to see the command's implementation
> and see that in the `C-u' case it binds these variables:
>
>     (let ((gnus-have-all-headers t)
> 	  gnus-article-prepare-hook
> 	  gnus-article-decode-hook
> 	  gnus-display-mime-function
> 	  gnus-break-pages)
>
> (And I don't even use gnus.)

And your reply doesn't help much... : )... You'll notice I specified
C-u g to see the slashes in my post.

A better  solution was posted by Katsumi Yamaoka:
  on gmane.emacs.help

  From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
  Subject: Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
  Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help