"Drew Adams" writes: > To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org > I've a strong desire those days: make a _simple_ search within an > info file or in outline-mode. > > For example, open the Elisp manual, and search for « local > variables: ». Isearch will then go to every _references_ to the > section Local Variables, and not to every actual match of the > search (_with_ the `:' ). > > It's because the search is made on the real text, that's to say, the > whole text without hidden things. Here, references on « Local > Varibles » are of the form « Local Variables: definition of thing » > but just shown as « Local Variables » ; that explains the match. > > It's like in outline mode when some hidden subtrees are hidden: when > a search is made, Isearch also searches in the hidden text. > Can I param Isearch to make the search on the literal shown text ? > > What version of Emacs are you using? GNU Emacs 22.0.50.37 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2006-03-16 > This problem has, I think, been fixed more than once (;-)) for Emacs 22, > since it has shown its head in several places, including File, Next in the > header and Note, Menu in body text. I don't know if Local Variables has also > been fixed. CCing emacs-devel. I hope you understood clearly what I wrote :-) The problem is not for Local Variables in particular, it was just an example. Every reference in an info file has « hidden text », as you surely know. In fact, if I copy text that contains a reference then past it I obtain, for example : I copy from the Elisp manual : *Note Strings of Events, for special considerations for strings of keyboard character events. and I past (note the semicolons): *Note Strings of Events::, for special considerations for strings of keyboard character events. My problem is just that the Isearch is made on the « unhidden » text. I see « Strings of Events » but it matches « Strings of Events:: » too. It may not be a bug, but a feature, but I'd like to disable it :-) BTW, for outline-mode, the `...' notation that expands itself when a match of a search is in it, is not a « feature » that Gnus's `...' has. Thanks. -- Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] | Epita/LRDE promo 2007 | )\._.,--....,'``. 123 av. de Fontainebleau | 08.70.65.13.14 | /. _.. \ _\ (` ._,. 94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 | '._.-(,_..'--(,_...`-..'