all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-09 20:49 Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-09 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following code mapped to f1.

"manual-entry (current-word)"

How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
man-page?

thanks for any help.

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-09 21:34 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-09-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hadron> I have the following code mapped to f1.

    Hadron> "manual-entry (current-word)"

    Hadron> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
    Hadron> man-page?

Hi,

there is the `Man-notify-method' variable, mentioned in the documentation to
`manual-entry':

"See variable
`Man-notify-method' for what happens when the buffer is ready.
If a buffer already exists for this man page, it will display immediately."

Hope this helps...

    Hadron> thanks for any help.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

Enlightenment DR17 has been added into the primary CVS tree. No,
hell hasn't frozen over and last we looked pigs weren't flying
although this might signal Duke Nukem Forever sometime before
Christmas.

Found in the News section of www.enlightenment.org
on Sun Nov 28 2004

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-09 22:35   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-09 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

>     Hadron> I have the following code mapped to f1.
>
>     Hadron> "manual-entry (current-word)"
>
>     Hadron> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
>     Hadron> man-page?
>
> Hi,
>
> there is the `Man-notify-method' variable, mentioned in the documentation to
> `manual-entry':
>
> "See variable
> `Man-notify-method' for what happens when the buffer is ready.
> If a buffer already exists for this man page, it will display immediately."
>
> Hope this helps...

Damn. Asleep again. I missed that.  Thanks a lot : newframe is probably
the best for me.

Out of curiosity what would the function be called to "jump to named
buffer"? I had written my first bit of lisp to construct a legitimate
buffer name but "switch to buffer" switches the named buffer into the
current one, so I had 2 buffers with the manpage in :)

>     Hadron> thanks for any help.
>
> Toto

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-09 22:50     ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-09-09 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hadron> Damn. Asleep again. I missed that.  Thanks a lot : newframe is
    Hadron> probably the best for me.

I'm using "pushy" :-)

    Hadron> Out of curiosity what would the function be called to "jump to named
    Hadron> buffer"? I had written my first bit of lisp to construct a
    Hadron> legitimate buffer name but "switch to buffer" switches the named
    Hadron> buffer into the current one, so I had 2 buffers with the manpage in
    Hadron> :)

Huh?

I looked up the man-page of "grep", switched to another buffer and evaluated

(switch-to-buffer "*Man grep*")

Just switched to the correct buffer. Got only one of it.

    Hadron> thanks for any help.

Good night...

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

Otto: Don't call me stupid!

A Fish Called Wanda

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-09 23:07       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-09 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Hadron> Damn. Asleep again. I missed that.  Thanks a lot : newframe is
>     Hadron> probably the best for me.
>
> I'm using "pushy" :-)
>
>     Hadron> Out of curiosity what would the function be called to "jump to named
>     Hadron> buffer"? I had written my first bit of lisp to construct a
>     Hadron> legitimate buffer name but "switch to buffer" switches the named
>     Hadron> buffer into the current one, so I had 2 buffers with the manpage in
>     Hadron> :)
>
> Huh?
>
> I looked up the man-page of "grep", switched to another buffer and evaluated
>
> (switch-to-buffer "*Man grep*")
>
> Just switched to the correct buffer. Got only one of it.
>
>     Hadron> thanks for any help.
>
> Good night...

I'll explain : If you're editing a c file and called
manual-entry(current-word) then the default setting was to open a new
buffer and leave focus in the c file. I was trying to programmatically
jump to the new buffer after calling manual-entry. But a call to
switch-to buffer when there are *2* buffers open, brings the manual
buffer into the current buffer - so suddenly there are 2 visible buffers
showing the same manpage.

> Toto

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-09 23:13         ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-09-09 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hadron> I'll explain : If you're editing a c file and called
    Hadron> manual-entry(current-word) then the default setting was to open a
    Hadron> new buffer and leave focus in the c file. I was trying to
    Hadron> programmatically jump to the new buffer after calling
    Hadron> manual-entry. But a call to switch-to buffer when there are *2*
    Hadron> buffers open, brings the manual buffer into the current buffer - so
    Hadron> suddenly there are 2 visible buffers showing the same manpage.

Ah. I see.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

RWTH Aaachen -- Jetzt noch weiter vorne...

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-10 20:08         ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-10 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:07:41 +0200 Hadron Quark wrote:

> I'll explain : If you're editing a c file and called
> manual-entry(current-word) then the default setting was to open a new
> buffer and leave focus in the c file. I was trying to programmatically
> jump to the new buffer after calling manual-entry.

Have a look at `Man-notify-method'.

David

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-11 15:26     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-09-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark wrote:
> Out of curiosity what would the function be called to "jump to named
> buffer"? I had written my first bit of lisp to construct a legitimate
> buffer name but "switch to buffer" switches the named buffer into the
> current one, so I had 2 buffers with the manpage in :)

See the Displaying Buffers [in Windows] node of the Emacs Lisp manual,
which describes the details.  Generally the best way to respect the
user's preferences is to use pop-to-buffer.

--
Kevin

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-11 15:42 ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-09-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark wrote:
> I have the following code mapped to f1.
>
> "manual-entry (current-word)"
>
> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
> man-page?
>
> thanks for any help.

As a side-note, using man pages as references is trouble in systems
that use GNU components heavily.

The best docs of most of the general utilities are the info pages, the
best docs to glibc are generally the info pages.  The best/only docs to
the kernel stuff and system utilities are the man pages.

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-11 23:07   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert.thorpe@antenova.com writes:

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>> I have the following code mapped to f1.
>>
>> "manual-entry (current-word)"
>>
>> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
>> man-page?
>>
>> thanks for any help.
>
> As a side-note, using man pages as references is trouble in systems
> that use GNU components heavily.
>
> The best docs of most of the general utilities are the info pages, the
> best docs to glibc are generally the info pages.  The best/only docs to
> the kernel stuff and system utilities are the man pages.

Didnt know that.

I tried "info(current-word)" but it doesnt work.

How would I bring up the info for C functions then? Ideally use the info
page if it exists or else revert to the man page.

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-12 17:17     ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:07:49 +0200 Hadron Quark wrote:

> robert.thorpe@antenova.com writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark wrote:
>>> I have the following code mapped to f1.
>>>
>>> "manual-entry (current-word)"
>>>
>>> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
>>> man-page?
>>>
>>> thanks for any help.
>>
>> As a side-note, using man pages as references is trouble in systems
>> that use GNU components heavily.
>>
>> The best docs of most of the general utilities are the info pages, the
>> best docs to glibc are generally the info pages.  The best/only docs to
>> the kernel stuff and system utilities are the man pages.
>>

> Didnt know that.
>
> I tried "info(current-word)" but it doesnt work.
>
> How would I bring up the info for C functions then? Ideally use the info
> page if it exists or else revert to the man page.

Install the GNU libc info manual and use it like you use the
other info manuals.

Anyway i disagree with Robert.  I would think that on every
POSIX box it's more likely that the manual pages are available
than the libc info manual.

And for a quick lookup the manual pages are usually better.
In contrast the libc manual is a bit more descriptive and
comes with more examples.  Both have it's use.

David

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-12 17:54     ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-09-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark wrote:
> robert.thorpe@antenova.com writes:
>
> > Hadron Quark wrote:
> >> I have the following code mapped to f1.
> >>
> >> "manual-entry (current-word)"
> >>
> >> How to make emacs also jump to the buffer showing the resulting
> >> man-page?
> >>
> >> thanks for any help.
> >
> > As a side-note, using man pages as references is trouble in systems
> > that use GNU components heavily.
> >
> > The best docs of most of the general utilities are the info pages, the
> > best docs to glibc are generally the info pages.  The best/only docs to
> > the kernel stuff and system utilities are the man pages.
> >

> Didnt know that.
>
> I tried "info(current-word)" but it doesnt work.
>
> How would I bring up the info for C functions then? Ideally use the info
> page if it exists or else revert to the man page.

In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C library function
then it should jump to the correct place in the glibc info file.

You have to have the glibc info file installed for this to work.  Any
distro that supports development should have this installed by default
along with the glibc man pages and the system utilities man pages.

If not look get your distros install program to add those things.
(Don't download them from the net, or they'll likely be the wrong
versions compared to what you're actually using).

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-12 19:27       ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Sep 2006 10:54:59 -0700 robert thorpe wrote:

> In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C library function
> then it should jump to the correct place in the glibc info file.

That must be some extension you use:

C-h TAB is undefined

Please tell us what you are using to directly jump to the
documentation.

David

* RE: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-12 19:51         ` Drew Adams
       [not found]           ` <mailman.6840.1158098039.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-09-12 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C
    > library function then it should jump to the correct place
    > in the glibc info file.

    That must be some extension you use:
    C-h TAB is undefined

    Please tell us what you are using to directly jump to the
    documentation.

Try M-x load-library info-look

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-12 21:46           ` David Hansen
       [not found]           ` <mailman.6840.1158098039.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-12 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:51:11 -0700 Drew Adams wrote:

>     > In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C
>     > library function then it should jump to the correct place
>     > in the glibc info file.
>
>     That must be some extension you use:
>     C-h TAB is undefined
>
>     Please tell us what you are using to directly jump to the
>     documentation.
>
> Try M-x load-library info-look

Thank you.  That's really nice.  But the key binding is
actually C-h S in case anyone else cares.

David

* RE: Jump to man page buffer
@ 2006-09-12 22:00             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-09-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:51:11 -0700 Drew Adams wrote:

    >     > In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C
    >     > library function then it should jump to the correct place
    >     > in the glibc info file.
    >
    >     That must be some extension you use:
    >     C-h TAB is undefined
    >
    >     Please tell us what you are using to directly jump to the
    >     documentation.
    >
    > Try M-x load-library info-look

    Thank you.  That's really nice.  But the key binding is
    actually C-h S in case anyone else cares.

Prior to Emacs 22, the key binding was `C-h C-i', that is, `C-h TAB'. I'm
not sure why the binding changed.

* Re: Jump to man page buffer
       [not found]           ` <mailman.6840.1158098039.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-13  9:40             ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-09-13  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:51:11 -0700 Drew Adams wrote:
>
> >     > In Emacs if you type C-h C-i when over the name of a C
> >     > library function then it should jump to the correct place
> >     > in the glibc info file.
> >
> >     That must be some extension you use:
> >     C-h TAB is undefined
> >
> >     Please tell us what you are using to directly jump to the
> >     documentation.
> >
> > Try M-x load-library info-look
>
> Thank you.  That's really nice.  But the key binding is
> actually C-h S in case anyone else cares.

They've changed the keybinding!  It is C-h C-i in Emacs 21.3.
C-h C-i was a little easier to hit than C-h S, pity.  I suppose "S" is
more mnemonic for looking up symbols than C-i.