all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* editing remote files with eshell
@ 2007-03-03 19:05 Andrew Yates
From: Andrew Yates @ 2007-03-03 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using emacs for a little while and decided yesterday to try
to use emacs with eshell as my primary terminal. I have most
everything working satisfactorily, but I still haven't found a good
way to edit files on remote hosts. I know that TRAMP can edit remote
files using SSH, but it isn't as transparent as I would like.

Is there any way that when I run "emacs filename" in a SSH session
using eshell,  the remote file can be opened in a new local buffer? I
thought this might be possible to do with an eshell alias and TRAMP,
but BASH is run when I connect to a remote host with SSH.
Alternatively, is there any way to run eshell on the remote host
instead of BASH when I connect via SSH?

* Re: editing remote files with eshell
       [not found] <mailman.388.1172961240.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-04  8:58 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-03-04  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Andrew Yates" <andrewyates@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using emacs for a little while and decided yesterday to try
> to use emacs with eshell as my primary terminal. I have most
> everything working satisfactorily, but I still haven't found a good
> way to edit files on remote hosts. I know that TRAMP can edit remote
> files using SSH, but it isn't as transparent as I would like.
>
> Is there any way that when I run "emacs filename" in a SSH session
> using eshell,  the remote file can be opened in a new local buffer?

What I do in eshell is just
cd /hostname:directory RET

and then either C-x C-f filename RET or, alternatively,
find-file filename RET
(yes, use find-file as a shell command).

* Re: editing remote files with eshell
@ 2007-03-04 10:02   ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-04 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

David Kastrup wrote:
> "Andrew Yates" <andrewyates@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been using emacs for a little while and decided yesterday to try
>> to use emacs with eshell as my primary terminal. I have most
>> everything working satisfactorily, but I still haven't found a good
>> way to edit files on remote hosts. I know that TRAMP can edit remote
>> files using SSH, but it isn't as transparent as I would like.
>>
>> Is there any way that when I run "emacs filename" in a SSH session
>> using eshell,  the remote file can be opened in a new local buffer?
>
> What I do in eshell is just
> cd /hostname:directory RET
>
> and then either C-x C-f filename RET or, alternatively,
> find-file filename RET
> (yes, use find-file as a shell command).

Wow.  I didn't know about TRAMP, or that eshell could execute emacs
commands inline.  I just installed TRAMP, and that is amazing.

I'm going to figure out what all these intriguing-sounding emacs
packages really are

Thanks,

Matt Flaschen

* Re: editing remote files with eshell
@ 2007-03-04 13:29   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-03-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 09:58:18 +0100 David Kastrup wrote:

> "Andrew Yates" <andrewyates@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been using emacs for a little while and decided yesterday to try
>> to use emacs with eshell as my primary terminal. I have most
>> everything working satisfactorily, but I still haven't found a good
>> way to edit files on remote hosts. I know that TRAMP can edit remote
>> files using SSH, but it isn't as transparent as I would like.
>>
>> Is there any way that when I run "emacs filename" in a SSH session
>> using eshell,  the remote file can be opened in a new local buffer?
>
> What I do in eshell is just
> cd /hostname:directory RET
>
> and then either C-x C-f filename RET or, alternatively,
> find-file filename RET
> (yes, use find-file as a shell command).

Or

(defun eshell/emacs (&rest files)
  (if (null files)
      (bury-buffer)
    (mapc #'find-file
          (mapcar #'expand-file-name
                  (eshell-flatten-list (nreverse files))))))

(defun eshell/less (&rest files)
  (mapc #'view-file
        (mapcar #'expand-file-name
                (eshell-flatten-list (nreverse files)))))

(defalias 'eshell/more 'eshell/less)

And just type "emacs <file>*" or "less <file>*".

David