all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-28  9:43 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-28  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

i have my $EDITOR set to emacsclient (in a script) and i am using
emacs-23.0.60-unicode.

I have a problem with emacsclient:

when i start emacsclient from a terminal , no problem it tell me i have
to do C-x # when done: thats normal.
when i launch emacsclient from an external program (python tk) it open
the file wanted but differently:
emacs say: buffer 'my_file' still as clients; kill it ? (y or n)

if i say yes,
it kill the buffer but the windows stay here and it's not
an external windows of my emacs session, it seem to be a clone of my
emacs session: if i do C-x 5 0 in my emacs session (the original one,
where emacs server is launched) it kill this session.

if i say no,
i can edit my file, save it but i can't quit this windows without
killing all my emacs (i am not prompted to C-x #)
With emacs23.0.50 (non unicode) on another machine and with emacsclient
launched from the same program (a python agenda/planner) emacsclient
works normally with C-x # to finish emacsclient

So the problem is when i start emacsclient from an external program and
after i want to finish it, it kill the emacs session where the server
have been launched.

It seem to do that only with graphic programs:
when i call emacs client with mutt for example it work normally.

If some body have an idea ? or the same problem ?

Thank you

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-28 10:51 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-28 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.10.2007 um 10:43 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> If some body have an idea ?

There are more server- commands once the server has started. One of
them is server-edit. Does this help?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-28 11:27   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-28 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Peter> Am 28.10.2007 um 10:43 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

    >> If some body have an idea ?

    Peter> There are more server- commands once the server has
    Peter> started. One of them is server-edit. Does this help?

Thanks for your answer,

server-edit is binded to C-x # .
Normally emacsclient notify that in minibuffer but here no;

when i do that in the new windows created by $EDITOR (alias emacsclient)
called by my python app emacs tell me there is no emacs server.
but there is! emacsclient work fine from any term and also from a remote
computer with emacsclient -t

I think the new windows created when i call emacsclient is a clone of my
emacs session , because when i want to close it with C-x c or from my
emacs session with C-x 5 0 it close all emacs (without saving that is bad)

So i don't know if there is a new feature of emacs that i don't
understand or it's a bug.

--

@ 2007-10-28 22:53 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Thierry> Hi, i have my $EDITOR set to emacsclient (in a script) and
    Thierry> i am using emacs-23.0.60-unicode.

    Thierry> I have a problem with emacsclient:

    Thierry> when i start emacsclient from a terminal , no problem it
    Thierry> tell me i have to do C-x # when done: thats normal.  when i
    Thierry> launch emacsclient from an external program (python tk) it
    Thierry> open the file wanted but differently: emacs say: buffer
    Thierry> 'my_file' still as clients; kill it ? (y or n)

    Thierry> if i say yes, it kill the buffer but the windows stay here
    Thierry> and it's not an external windows of my emacs session, it
    Thierry> seem to be a clone of my emacs session: if i do C-x 5 0 in
    Thierry> my emacs session (the original one, where emacs server is
    Thierry> launched) it kill this session.

    Thierry> if i say no, i can edit my file, save it but i can't quit
    Thierry> this windows without killing all my emacs (i am not
    Thierry> prompted to C-x #) With emacs23.0.50 (non unicode) on
    Thierry> another machine and with emacsclient launched from the same
    Thierry> program (a python agenda/planner) emacsclient works
    Thierry> normally with C-x # to finish emacsclient

    Thierry> So the problem is when i start emacsclient from an external
    Thierry> program and after i want to finish it, it kill the emacs
    Thierry> session where the server have been launched.

    Thierry> It seem to do that only with graphic programs: when i call
    Thierry> emacs client with mutt for example it work normally.

    Thierry> If some body have an idea ? or the same problem ?

I reply to myself just to say i have switched to emacs-23.0.50
(non unicode) and emacsclient work again with my app python.

So i think it's a bug of emacs-23.0.60-unicode

psvn.el also work only partially with this version of emacs :
ediff don't work.

Bad for my eyes! xft is so nice!

--

@ 2007-10-28 23:31   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-28 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.10.2007 um 23:53 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> psvn.el also work only partially with this version of emacs :
> ediff don't work.

I cannot confirm! Both work. What I can assume is that some of your
personal settings are incorrect. Do you see different behaviour when
launching

	emacs-23.0.60 -Q -f server-start &

 From which date is the code for GNU Emacs-23.0.60?

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is
overhead for the operating system.

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-29  3:14     ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2007-10-29  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 28.10.2007 um 23:53 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> psvn.el also work only partially with this version of emacs :
>> ediff don't work.
>
> I cannot confirm! Both work. What I can assume is that some of your
> personal settings are incorrect. Do you see different behaviour when
> launching
>
> 	emacs-23.0.60 -Q -f server-start &

As I experienced and also stated by one of previous posts,
the issue related to the emacsclient is gone, if you start
the emacs and the server within from a terminal or xterm.
If you type that line in an xterm, you won't see that
behaviour.  But if you launch it from `dmenu[1]', you'll see
that the emacsclient is not working properly.  Presumably,
it's related to the handling of the environment variables?

[1] http://www.suckless.org/wiki/tools/xlib

Xiao-Yong
--
    c/*    __o/*
    <\     * (__

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-29  8:12       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-29  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 28.10.2007 um 23:53 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>>
>>> psvn.el also work only partially with this version of emacs :
>>> ediff don't work.
>>
>> I cannot confirm! Both work. What I can assume is that some of your
>> personal settings are incorrect. Do you see different behaviour when
>> launching
>>
>> 	emacs-23.0.60 -Q -f server-start &

No, it's not working better like that,
emacsclient is working fine when i start it from any term or remote term
but is not working only in this special case:

when i call it from my python app throught the mailcap module.

For svn, ediff work fine with emacs-23.0.50 but don't work on 23.0.60
but may be i miss some thing.
It seem svn don't recognize my environment variable $EDITOR (emacsclient)

> As I experienced and also stated by one of previous posts,
> the issue related to the emacsclient is gone, if you start
> the emacs and the server within from a terminal or xterm.
> If you type that line in an xterm, you won't see that
> behaviour.  But if you launch it from `dmenu[1]', you'll see
> that the emacsclient is not working properly.  Presumably,
> it's related to the handling of the environment variables?

I launch emacs-server from my .emacs with (server-start).
Which environment variables are you thinking about ?

--

@ 2007-10-29  9:40       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.10.2007 um 04:14 schrieb Xiao-Yong Jin:

> Presumably, it's related to the handling of the environment variables?

When you work in a real X11 environment and not in GNUstep/OPENSTEP
or Mac OS X, then X11 should inherit from your login shell the whole
environment.

In most (all?) shells you can distinguish between interactive
($PROMPT present) and non-interactive ($PROMPT not present) use.
Additionally you can run shells as login shells, which makes them
read/load another resource script (~/.login etc.). So you can control
which environment variables will be valid in which situation.

Xterm can be launched with a login (-ls) and with a non-login shell
(+ls, default behaviour). See also loginShell X resource.

To compare the environment variables set: ``env | sort -o file1´´.
Then diff the files. (There are too many shells around and some, like
bash, are much too complicated in case of resource scripts.)

GNU Emacs saves the environment it inherits in the variable process-
environment (in a long unsorted list like ``"TERM=dumb"
"HOST=here.local" "GROUP=pete" "LOGNAME=pete" ...´´ in which getenv
searches). For debugging it can help when one augments the shell's RC
files (resource scripts) with statements to output messages (echo,
printf something like "Hi, it's me, RC file so-and-so starting", and
also when leaving) or to save them in files (in /tmp for example)
with unique names (using for example $$ in the resource script when
building the file name, or recent date). Anyway, it will pretty time
consuming. Another, sometimes faster option, is to use a "trace"
facility to watch a programme (or two: GNU and emacsclient) working.
The trace implementations can be set to filter particular "data
streams" (network io, disk io, dynamic/shared libraries, ...).

--
Greetings

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-29 10:22         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-29 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 29.10.2007 um 04:14 schrieb Xiao-Yong Jin:
>
>> Presumably, it's related to the handling of the environment variables?
>
> When you work in a real X11 environment and not in GNUstep/OPENSTEP
> or Mac OS X, then X11 should inherit from your login shell the whole
> environment.
>
> In most (all?) shells you can distinguish between interactive
> ($PROMPT present) and non-interactive ($PROMPT not present) use.
> Additionally you can run shells as login shells, which makes them
> read/load another resource script (~/.login etc.). So you can control
> which environment variables will be valid in which situation.
>
> Xterm can be launched with a login (-ls) and with a non-login shell
> (+ls, default behaviour). See also loginShell X resource.
>
> To compare the environment variables set: ``env | sort -o file1´´.
> Then diff the files. (There are too many shells around and some, like
> bash, are much too complicated in case of resource scripts.)
>

> GNU Emacs saves the environment it inherits in the variable process-
> environment (in a long unsorted list like ``"TERM=dumb"
> "HOST=here.local" "GROUP=pete" "LOGNAME=pete" ...´´ in which getenv
> searches). For debugging it can help when one augments the shell's RC
> files (resource scripts) with statements to output messages (echo,
> printf something like "Hi, it's me, RC file so-and-so starting", and
> also when leaving) or to save them in files (in /tmp for example)
> with unique names (using for example $$ in the resource script when
> building the file name, or recent date). Anyway, it will pretty time
> consuming. Another, sometimes faster option, is to use a "trace"
> facility to watch a programme (or two: GNU and emacsclient) working.
> The trace implementations can be set to filter particular "data
> streams" (network io, disk io, dynamic/shared libraries, ...).

Thanks Peter for help,
i keep trying to see what's wrong,
checking what's different from one emacs version to the other.

--

@ 2007-10-29 10:29         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-29 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.10.2007 um 09:12 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> is not working only in this special case:
>
> when i call it from my python app throught the mailcap module.

Could be there is something with missing environment variables ...

A simple 'strings `which emacsclient`' reveals:

	ALTERNATE_EDITOR
	DISPLAY
	EMACS_SERVER_FILE
	HOME
	LOGNAME
	TERM
	USER

USER, LOGNAME, DISPLAY are important. Can you launch a simple shell
script instead of emacsclient that just records the environment
variables it sees inside Python? Like:

	#!<path to your login shell>
	env | sort -o /tmp/EnvironmentAsSeenFromWithinPython$$

Then compare this with that which a regular shell or GNU Emacs'
*shell* buffer has.

And in the next round: make that shell script replace the utility
that would be determined by the mailcap file – I have no idea why you
mention this, because mailcap names a "proxy" to handle a particular
data type. Does this "proxy" application launch and for which data
type does it launch? Or do you mean that you have extended mailcap to
use emacsclient for some data type(s)? Then it would be easy to
substitute "emacsclient" with "shell script name" for a test and all
is done.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
                                          - Jeremy S. Anderson

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-29 21:15           ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-29 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 29.10.2007 um 09:12 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> is not working only in this special case:
>>
>> when i call it from my python app throught the mailcap module.
>
> Could be there is something with missing environment variables ...
>
> A simple 'strings `which emacsclient`' reveals:
>
> 	ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> 	DISPLAY
> 	EMACS_SERVER_FILE
> 	HOME
> 	LOGNAME
> 	TERM
> 	USER
>
> USER, LOGNAME, DISPLAY are important. Can you launch a simple shell
> script instead of emacsclient that just records the environment
> variables it sees inside Python? Like:
>
> 	#!<path to your login shell>
> 	env | sort -o /tmp/EnvironmentAsSeenFromWithinPython$$
>
> Then compare this with that which a regular shell or GNU Emacs'
> *shell* buffer has.
>
> And in the next round: make that shell script replace the utility
> that would be determined by the mailcap file – I have no idea why you
> mention this, because mailcap names a "proxy" to handle a particular
> data type. Does this "proxy" application launch and for which data
> type does it launch? Or do you mean that you have extended mailcap to
> use emacsclient for some data type(s)? Then it would be easy to
> substitute "emacsclient" with "shell script name" for a test and all
> is done.

I did that and i have two files now:
 - One done with replacing emacsclient by the command line you gave me
   in my script that is launched as $EDITOR in .mailcap

 - One with your command line runned in the shell of emacs (not eshell)

I have 2 list of environnement variable but it's don't "talk me a lot!"
I attach them, if you have the time to have a look.
6915==>from my python app
7619==>from shell

The problem is now repeated in all my emacs-cvs (22 and 23)
The problem with "svn-status-ediff-with-revision" also
I think the problem is related to my $EDITOR value but i am not sure.
Only the "emacs22 no cvs" is working.

And added to that, (it's a bad day :) ) since the update of my system
this morning , /su::/... with tramp is not working anymore
(authentification fail)
I think it's from the update of pwdb and pam the problem come.

Thank you for your help, i try hard to understand your advices!!

[-- Attachment #2: from python --]
[-- Type: TEXT/PLAIN, Size: 4031 bytes --]

CLASSPATH=.
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK=/etc/env.d/java/ /etc/udev/rules.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash
CONFIG_PROTECT=/usr/share/X11/xkb
CVS_RSH=ssh
DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID=~|bin|calendar_tk.py/~|bin|calendar_tk.py/26032-7-thievol_TIME0
DISPLAY=:0
EDITOR=/usr/local/bin/editeur.sh
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
GCC_PATH=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.2
GCC_SPECS=
GDK_USE_XFT=1
GENERATION=2
G_FILENAME_ENCODING=UTF-8
HOME=/home/thierry
HUSHLOGIN=FALSE
INFOPATH=/usr/share/info:/usr/share/binutils-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.18/info:/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/info:/usr/share/info/emacs-23-unicode:/home/thierry/elisp/info
JAVAC=/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm/bin/javac
JAVA_HOME=/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm
JDK_HOME=/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=fr_FR@.UTF-8
LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8
LDPATH=/usr/local/lib://usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib://usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib64:/lib32:/usr/lib32:/usr/local/lib32:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/32:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/32:/usr/lib64/nspr:/usr/lib64/nss:/usr/lib/openmotif-2.2:/usr/lib32/openmotif-2.2:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib/amd64/:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib/amd64/native_threads/:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib/amd64/classic/:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib/amd64/server/:/usr/qt/3/lib:/usr/qt/3/lib64:/usr/qt/3/lib32:/usr/games/lib:/usr/games/lib64
LEDGER_CACHE=/home/thierry/finance/.ledger-cache
LEDGER_FILE=/home/thierry/finance/ledger.dat
LEDGER_PRICEDB=/home/thierry/finance/.pricedb
LESSOPEN=|lesspipe.sh %s
LESS=-R -M --shift 5
LOGNAME=thierry
LS_COLORS=no=00:fi=00:di=01;34:ln=01;36:pi=40;33:so=01;35:do=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=01;05;37;41:mi=01;05;37;41:su=37;41:sg=30;43:tw=30;42:ow=34;42:st=37;44:ex=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tbz2=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.deb=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.jar=01;31:*.rar=01;31:*.ace=01;31:*.zoo=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.7z=01;31:*.rz=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.jpeg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.pbm=01;35:*.pgm=01;35:*.ppm=01;35:*.tga=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.tif=01;35:*.tiff=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.mng=01;35:*.pcx=01;35:*.mov=01;35:*.mpg=01;35:*.mpeg=01;35:*.m2v=01;35:*.mkv=01;35:*.ogm=01;35:*.mp4=01;35:*.m4v=01;35:*.mp4v=01;35:*.vob=01;35:*.qt=01;35:*.nuv=01;35:*.wmv=01;35:*.asf=01;35:*.rm=01;35:*.rmvb=01;35:*.flc=01;35:*.avi=01;35:*.fli=01;35:*.gl=01;35:*.dl=01;35:*.xcf=01;35:*.xwd=01;35:*.yuv=01;35:*.pdf=00;32:*.ps=00;32:*.txt=00;32:*.patch=00;32:*.diff=00;32:*.log=00;32:*.tex=00;32:*.doc=00;32:*.aac=00;36:*.au=00;36:*.flac=00;36:*.mid=00;36:*.midi=00;36:*.mka=00;36:*.mp3=00;36:*.mpc=00;36:*.ogg=00;36:*.ra=00;36:*.wav=00;36:
MAIL=/home/thierry/incoming
MANPATH=/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/share/binutils-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.18/man:/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/man:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/man:/etc/java-config/system-vm/man/:/usr/qt/3/doc/man
OPENGL_PROFILE=nvidia
PAGER=/usr/bin/less
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.2:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/bin:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/bin:/usr/qt/3/bin:/usr/games/bin:/home/thierry/bin
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/qt/3/lib64/pkgconfig
PRELINK_PATH_MASK=/usr/lib64/klibc
PWD=/home/thierry
PYTHONDOCS=/usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.4/html/lib
PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib64/portage/pym
QMAKESPEC=linux-g++
QTDIR=/usr/qt/3
SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/sane.d
SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=snapscan:libusb:002:004
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHLVL=7
SSH_AGENT_PID=5583
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-uUfRKE5582/agent.5582
TERM=linux
USB_DEVFS_PATH=/dev/bus/usb
USER=thierry
_=/usr/bin/env
VMHANDLE=blackdown-jdk-1.4.2
WINDOWPATH=7
XAUTHORITY=/home/thierry/.Xauthority

[-- Attachment #3: from shell --]
[-- Type: TEXT/PLAIN, Size: 4114 bytes --]

CLASSPATH=.
COLUMNS=184
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK=/etc/env.d/java/ /etc/udev/rules.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash
CONFIG_PROTECT=/usr/share/X11/xkb
CVS_RSH=ssh
DISPLAY=:0.0
EDITOR=/usr/local/bin/editeur.sh
EMACS=t
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
GCC_PATH=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.2
GCC_SPECS=
GDK_USE_XFT=1
GENERATION=2
G_FILENAME_ENCODING=UTF-8
HOME=/home/thierry
HUSHLOGIN=FALSE
INFOPATH=/usr/share/info:/usr/share/binutils-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.18/info:/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/info:/usr/share/info/emacs-23-unicode:/home/thierry/elisp/info:/home/thierry/elisp/info
INSIDE_EMACS=23.0.60.1,comint
[...]
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.2:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/bin:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/bin:/usr/qt/3/bin:/usr/games/bin:/home/thierry/bin:/home/thierry/bin
PS1=\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\]
PWD=/home/thierry
PYTHONDOCS=/usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.4/html/lib
PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib64/portage/pym
QMAKESPEC=linux-g++
QTDIR=/usr/qt/3
SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/sane.d
SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=snapscan:libusb:002:004
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHLVL=5
SSH_AGENT_PID=5583
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-uUfRKE5582/agent.5582
TERMCAP=
TERM=dumb

@ 2007-10-29 23:36             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-29 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.10.2007 um 22:15 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> I have 2 list of environnement variable but it's don't "talk me a
> lot!"

There are some obvious differences, of which the first two express
that some Bash RC file produces them:

	DISPLAY is a bit different (it could make a difference with more
than one screen)
	INFOPATH and PATH have each an element more
	SHLVL are different and both extremely high

To cite the Monks: Complication! In my GNU Emacs 23.0.60's *shell*
buffer SHLVL is just 2, so I think you can make your system a lot
less complicated with a programme launched from a shell launched from
a second shell launched from a third shell launched from a fourth
shell launched from a login shell? I can't see an obvious cause for
the failures, except that level of "complexity."

(I have one problem: my emacsclient programme is 23.0.50, and I can't
easily "upgrade" to version 23.0.60 since this one does not compile
in Mac OS X 10.4.10 – temacs fails. "Working around" this by
compiling emacsclient directly in lib-src produces an utility that
works fine from there!)

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
@ 2007-10-30 22:59               ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-10-30 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 29.10.2007 um 22:15 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> I have 2 list of environnement variable but it's don't "talk me a
>> lot!"
>
> There are some obvious differences, of which the first two express
> that some Bash RC file produces them:
>
> 	DISPLAY is a bit different (it could make a difference with
> more  than one screen)
> 	INFOPATH and PATH have each an element more
> 	SHLVL are different and both extremely high
>
> To cite the Monks: Complication! In my GNU Emacs 23.0.60's *shell*
> buffer SHLVL is just 2, so I think you can make your system a lot
> less complicated with a programme launched from a shell launched from
> a second shell launched from a third shell launched from a fourth
> shell launched from a login shell? I can't see an obvious cause for
> the failures, except that level of "complexity."
>
> (I have one problem: my emacsclient programme is 23.0.50, and I can't
> easily "upgrade" to version 23.0.60 since this one does not compile
> in Mac OS X 10.4.10 – temacs fails. "Working around" this by
> compiling emacsclient directly in lib-src produces an utility that
> works fine from there!)

I think you're right, i have a problem with my shells:
when i call at boot the last command of the tty1, instead of having
startx (thats the last command of this term normally) i have all the
last command i done in my urxvt term ( x term)
when i call svn-status for ediff files it tell me:
no program or file named $EDITOR
So there is a confusion in my env variable and the name of my term since
an update of my system.
I keep trying to find what is wrong .
The bug i had with su with tramp is a bug of tramp itself, it have been
corrected , the patch is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2007-10/msg00064.html
Thank you for all your advices.
--

@ 2007-10-30 23:59                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-30 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.10.2007 um 23:59 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> i have a problem with my shells:
> when i call at boot the last command of the tty1, instead of having
> startx (thats the last command of this term normally) i have all the
> last command i done in my urxvt term ( x term)

Is there no way to make the PC boot into the "X11 level?" I.e.
setting initdefault in /etc/inittab to 5 via 'sudo telinit 5' should
allow you to log-in at a graphical tool which, when you succeed, will
launch X11 for you at once.

When the file ~/.bash_login exists then ~/.profile won't be read/
executed by bash when using a login shell.
An interactive bash reads/executes ~/.bashrc.

Yesterday, in MET, it worked again to compile GNU Emacs 23.0.60 on
Mac OS X – and its emacsclient works well!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _