all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08  6:31 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2008-04-08  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I'm using Debian emacs-snapshot (emacs.orebokech.com) and this weekend's
upgrade is causing errors in calendar mode & diary that I have not been
able to isolate to my own set up ..  Problems seem to conentrate on
these fancy diary entries: diary-anniversary and diary-block.

starting emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q

results in a calendar that will (also) mess up the Dutch dates in the
diary file. A diary-anniversary at Feb 4 will show up on April 2nd and
so on.

Far worse is that selecting any date will result in a buffer with several
diary-block entries,
%%(diary-block 27 01 2006 29 01 2006) plus the entry text
%%(diary-block 23 4 2006 30 4 2006) ..
and more of these. I don't really recognize the pattern, selecting other
dates will give some of these diary-blocks and or others...

Also, the buffer will have a title: "Some text is hidden - press "s" in
calendar before edit/copy"

If I press s, I get a block of appointments in March 2008 and April
2008..

What could be going wrong, and how could I resolve this?

Thx

Gijs

--
"Who alone has reason to *lie himself out* of actuality?  He who *suffers*
 from it."

* Follow-up emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08  6:44 ` Gijs Hillenius
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2008-04-08  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If I do

emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q

and then load

(setq european-calendar-style 't)

and select any date, the Feb 4 anniversary still shows up on April
2nd.  And the already noted selection of diary-blocks appointments..

But now if I press the hidden text "s", I get my entire diary in the
diary buffer..

--
Mulher: como você pode confiar em um animal que sangra cinco dias e não
morre?

* More follow-up calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08  6:51   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2008-04-08  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

if I enter a new appointment in the diary

it will be entered as:

apr 8, 2008 test appointment

all the other appintments have this form:

8 apr, 2008 real appointment

--
The Almighty in His infinite wisdom did not see fit to create Frenchmen
in the image of Englishmen.

* Re: emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08 10:21 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.10150.1207665144.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2008-04-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gijs Hillenius <gijs.hillenius@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I'm using Debian emacs-snapshot (emacs.orebokech.com) and this weekend's
> upgrade is causing errors in calendar mode & diary that I have not been
> able to isolate to my own set up ..  Problems seem to conentrate on
> these fancy diary entries: diary-anniversary and diary-block.
>
> starting emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q
>
> results in a calendar that will (also) mess up the Dutch dates in the
> diary file. A diary-anniversary at Feb 4 will show up on April 2nd and
> so on.
>
> Far worse is that selecting any date will result in a buffer with several
> diary-block entries,
> %%(diary-block 27 01 2006 29 01 2006) plus the entry text
> %%(diary-block 23 4 2006 30 4 2006) ..
> and more of these. I don't really recognize the pattern, selecting other
> dates will give some of these diary-blocks and or others...
>
> Also, the buffer will have a title: "Some text is hidden - press "s" in
> calendar before edit/copy"
>
> If I press s, I get a block of appointments in March 2008 and April
> 2008..
>
> What could be going wrong, and how could I resolve this?

I think some owrk is being done on the calendar code in CVS emacs just
now. I noticed when I tried to build emacs from CVS yesterday that it
kept failing when trying to compile the calendar stuff. I waited a few
hours and then it was OK after another update. I noticed that calendar
related files had been updated.

It is possible the snapshot has some bugs - actually, since its a CVS
snapshot, its almost certain. Suggest you either wait until the next
snaphsot update or use emacs22 until the problem is fixed. You could try
building from CVS and see if that fixes the problem.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08 14:32 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.10150.1207665144.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.04.2008 um 08:31 schrieb Gijs Hillenius:
> starting emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q
>
> results in a calendar that will (also) mess up the Dutch dates in the
> diary file. A diary-anniversary at Feb 4 will show up on April 2nd and
> so on.

The default is US American calendar. Give it some ELisp code on the
command line to switch to European, or, much, better create a little
~/.emacs-init.el file that does the switch and also defines the Dutch
holidays. You can load it with -l.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence.
				– Ernst Mach

* Re: More follow-up calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08 14:35     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.04.2008 um 08:51 schrieb Gijs Hillenius:
> if I enter a new appointment in the diary
>
> it will be entered as:
>
> apr 8, 2008 test appointment
>
> all the other appintments have this form:
>
> 8 apr, 2008 real appointment

Could you also ask the debian customisers? What happens when you use
a *real* GNU Emacs, one that has none of these debian customisations?

--
Greetings

   Pete

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

* Re: More follow-up calendar errors
@ 2008-04-08 15:57       ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2008-04-08 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 08.04.2008 um 08:51 schrieb Gijs Hillenius:
>> if I enter a new appointment in the diary
>>
>> it will be entered as:
>>
>> apr 8, 2008 test appointment
>>
>> all the other appintments have this form:
>>
>> 8 apr, 2008 real appointment
>

> Could you also ask the debian customisers? What happens when you use a
> *real* GNU Emacs, one that has none of these debian customisations?

To be fair, he seems to be using a CVS-snapshot package. It's normal
that stuff breaks. And it is not an official Debian-package.
Here (latest CVS emacs) european calendar works fine, but I had to
change some minor stuff.
I'm pretty sure when Romain uploads the next package the stuff will be
fixed.

Tom

--
Then I drew in a breath, and my renewed will with it, lifted the rod
in my right hand, murmured a phrase in a language I didn't know, and

* FIX emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
       [not found] ` <mailman.10150.1207665144.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-09  6:43   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2008-04-09  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On  8 Apr 2008, Peter Dyballa replied:

to what I wrote:
>> starting emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q
>>
>> results in a calendar that will (also) mess up the Dutch dates in the
>> diary file. A diary-anniversary at Feb 4 will show up on April 2nd and
>> so on.
>
> The default is US American calendar. Give it some ELisp code on the
> command line to switch to European, or, much, better create a little
> ~/.emacs-init.el file that does the switch and also defines the Dutch
> holidays. You can load it with -l.

I have in .emacs

(setq european-calendar-style t

and a handfull other lines based on this DiaryMode in the emacswiki.org

Glenn emailed me, and suggested

(setq calendar-date-style 'european)

which fixes the date: Feb 4th being changed into April 2nd.

Thx

Gijs

* Re: FIX emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
@ 2008-04-10 22:41     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-10 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.04.2008 um 08:43 schrieb Gijs Hillenius:
> Glenn emailed me, and suggested
>
> (setq calendar-date-style 'european)
>
> which fixes the date: Feb 4th being changed into April 2nd.

Thanks for sharing this! Indeed the new (undocumented) syntax is
needed in recent GNU Emacs 23.0.60.

I did not gave so much attention to diary the last years, but I
started to investigate it a few days ago. Finally I seem to have
found a bug ...

Having these two lines in ~/diary

	%%(diary-float t 1 1)   Apple Macintosh Computer-Arbeitskreis
Frankfurter Hochschulen
	%%(diary-phases-of-moon 'svn-status-symlink-face)

m does *not* mark the days when the moon's phase changes. When I view
diary with s, comment the first line, and save the file, these days
now get marked. Un-commenting the first line and saving the diary
file removes the marks.

What is your experience with fancy-diary-display or the *Fancy Diary
Entries* buffer? It might be a decade ago when I last saw it.

BTW, did you notice that when you have set now European date format
the date in the diary entries' pop-up also changes in its title?

--
Greetings

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because they
know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
				– Michael Shirley