all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-07  4:45 Alexandru Cardaniuc
From: Alexandru Cardaniuc @ 2008-07-07  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All!

I managed to set up Gnus with gmail IMAP. Now I am trying to set up it
with POP, but unsuccessfully. Can anybody who uses gmail with POP share
their .gnus file customizations?

--
"God created the integers; all the rest is the work of man."
- Leopold Kronecker

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-07 19:01 ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]   ` <874p71i8oy.fsf@gmail.com>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-07-07 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru Cardaniuc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All!
>
> I managed to set up Gnus with gmail IMAP. Now I am trying to set up it
> with POP, but unsuccessfully. Can anybody who uses gmail with POP share
> their .gnus file customizations?

Emacswiki has a whole page on this:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail

I just used the instructions for Thunderbird and set it up like any
other pop client.

What particular problem are you having?
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
       [not found]     ` <87k5fxi06k.fsf@edna.homeunix.org>
@ 2008-07-08  3:36       ` Alexandru Cardaniuc
       [not found]       ` <mailman.14364.1215488208.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexandru Cardaniuc @ 2008-07-08  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel J. Adamson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

>>> Emacswiki has a whole page on this:
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail
>>> I just used the instructions for Thunderbird and set it up like any
>>> other pop client.
>>> What particular problem are you having? Joel
>> OK, so I insert the following into my .gnus file:
>> (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com" :port 995 :user
>> "cardaniuc@gmail.com" :password "secret" :stream ssl)))
>> And I get the error in the buffer line:
>> Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user
>> cardaniuc@gmail.com :password ******** :stream ssl) error (stringp).
>> Continue? (yes or no)

> The argument to the :password keyword should be nil, or the keyword
> should be absent, so that it can prompt you for your password. Try
> that instead of entering your password in the config. What version of
> Emacs and what version of Gnus are you using?

I tried that and I still get the same error.

Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user
cardaniuc@gmail.com :stream ssl) error (stringp).  Continue? (yes or no)

I am running Emacs 22.2 with gnus 5.11

--
"The man who has gotten everything he wants is all in favor of peace
and order."

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-09  2:23         ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-07-09  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru Cardaniuc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I am running Emacs 22.2 with gnus 5.11

Do you have ssl.el?  I know it seems unrelated, but that might be
related.  I'm having a little trouble understanding the error myself ---
is there anything preceding it in the *Messages* buffer that might be
related?

I use GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.12.9) of 2008-06-29 on Slackware Linux.  What operating system are you
using?

I remember Gmail not working well until a certain revision of the CVS,
and then it has worked perfectly since then.

Another question: you said it worked with IMAP --- why do you want to
set it  up for POP?  I've enjoyed switching to IMAP.

Joel

--

@ 2008-07-09  3:09         ` Memnon Anon
       [not found]           ` <mailman.14453.1215619557.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-07-09  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

Using Debian Testing, I got the same error.
Search google groups: Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved
Or look here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/11140/match=old+problem+pop3+ssl+gmail

Alexandru Cardaniuc schrieb:

> I tried that and I still get the same error.
>
> Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user
> cardaniuc@gmail.com :stream ssl) error (stringp).  Continue? (yes or no)
> I am running Emacs 22.2 with gnus 5.11

Same error, nothing worked. So I now use fetchmail to get my mail.
Have a look at the thread. In my last mail, I provided my working
setup.

hth

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-09 12:04           ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]           ` <mailman.14453.1215619557.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-07-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Using Debian Testing, I got the same error.
> Search google groups: Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved
> Or look here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/11140/match=old+problem+pop3+ssl+gmail

Debian might be the problem: is there something in site-start.el that
might screw with your settings?

> Alexandru Cardaniuc schrieb:
>
>> I tried that and I still get the same error.
>>
>> Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user
>> cardaniuc@gmail.com :stream ssl) error (stringp).  Continue? (yes or no)
>> I am running Emacs 22.2 with gnus 5.11
>
> Same error, nothing worked. So I now use fetchmail to get my mail.
> Have a look at the thread. In my last mail, I provided my working
> setup.

I don't need to use fetchmail!  I think there's another solution.  Trust
me, CVS Emacs is very usable, and it has many great features that are
well worth it.

Joel

--

@ 2008-07-09 20:17             ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-07-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

Great, how this group/mailinglist works!

Joel J. Adamson schrieb:
> Debian might be the problem: is there something in site-start.el that
> might screw with your settings?

I am a long time debian user, but I am quite new to emacs.
I am not sure. But I trust debian ;).
So I think, no ...

> I don't need to use fetchmail!  I think there's another solution.  Trust
> me, CVS Emacs is very usable, and it has many great features that are
> well worth it.

Great if it works for you! (Really *no irony tag*)
But, only to get a quite new emacs, I switched from stable to testing
(name says everything, I guess). I like linux, I like Debian, and
there is not
a chance I will go *any* further than I already did.
I would rather like to help the debian distribution to fix this
problem.
Thats why I asked the OP: Do you use Debian?!  *ping*
That would ease my discomfort, filing a bug.

I still can not believe I found a bug that is not already in the
bts ;)

thx for your helpfull suggestion!
(no need to cc me, I read the list :) I really need to learn much more
about emacs)

memnon

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-09 23:01           ` Alexandru Cardaniuc
From: Alexandru Cardaniuc @ 2008-07-09 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

>> I am running Emacs 22.2 with gnus 5.11

> Do you have ssl.el? I know it seems unrelated, but that might be
> related. I'm having a little trouble understanding the error myself
> --- is there anything preceding it in the *Messages* buffer that might
> be related?

Nothing. Just this error.

> I use GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 2.12.9) of 2008-06-29 on Slackware Linux. What operating system are
> you using?

Debian Lenny.

> I remember Gmail not working well until a certain revision of the CVS,
> and then it has worked perfectly since then.

> Another question: you said it worked with IMAP --- why do you want to
> set it up for POP? I've enjoyed switching to IMAP.

The thing is, that it worked perfectly fine with Emacs 21
Then I updated to Emacs 22 and I get this error. Since I couldn't set up
it with POP, I tried to set it up with IMAP and it works. But I still
wonder what is the problem, why doesn't it work with POP...

--
"From a little distance one can perceive an order in what at the time
seemed confusion."

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-09 23:06               ` Alexandru Cardaniuc
From: Alexandru Cardaniuc @ 2008-07-09 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Great, how this group/mailinglist works!

> Joel J. Adamson schrieb:
>> Debian might be the problem: is there something in site-start.el
>> that might screw with your settings?

> I am a long time debian user, but I am quite new to emacs. I am not
> sure. But I trust debian ;). So I think, no ...

>> I don't need to use fetchmail! I think there's another solution.
>> Trust me, CVS Emacs is very usable, and it has many great features
>> that are well worth it.

> Great if it works for you! (Really *no irony tag*) But, only to get a
> quite new emacs, I switched from stable to testing (name says
> everything, I guess). I like linux, I like Debian, and there is not a
> chance I will go *any* further than I already did. I would rather like
> to help the debian distribution to fix this problem. Thats why I asked
> the OP: Do you use Debian?! *ping* That would ease my discomfort,
> filing a bug.

Yes! I use Debian Testing/Lenny distribution. And it worked fine with
Emacs 21 with the same settings.

--
"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting
started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-10  1:17             ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14605.1215844944.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-07-10  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru Cardaniuc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc@gmail.com> writes:

> The thing is, that it worked perfectly fine with Emacs 21
> Then I updated to Emacs 22 and I get this error. Since I couldn't set up
> it with POP, I tried to set it up with IMAP and it works. But I still
> wonder what is the problem, why doesn't it work with POP...

Well, if it's just for curiosity, or for fixing a bug, then that's
great.  My concerns were usually more immediate when people were saying
"Hey, man did you get my email?"

Joel

--

@ 2008-07-12  6:42               ` Alexandru Cardaniuc
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14605.1215844944.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexandru Cardaniuc @ 2008-07-12  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

>> The thing is, that it worked perfectly fine with Emacs 21 Then I
>> updated to Emacs 22 and I get this error. Since I couldn't set up it
>> with POP, I tried to set it up with IMAP and it works. But I still
>> wonder what is the problem, why doesn't it work with POP...
>
> Well, if it's just for curiosity, or for fixing a bug, then that's
> great. My concerns were usually more immediate when people were saying
> "Hey, man did you get my email?"

Well, I would actually prefer it working with POP for now.

--
"In language, clarity is everything."
- Confucius

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
       [not found]               ` <mailman.14605.1215844944.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-12 10:23                 ` nakkaya
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14641.1215897984.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nakkaya @ 2008-07-12 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i used to use it with pop. so i can say that they work. take a look at
the following article.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6449

right now i use it with imap and do not have my old configuration.
--
Nurullah Akkaya

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
@ 2008-07-12 21:26                   ` Alexandru Cardaniuc
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14641.1215897984.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexandru Cardaniuc @ 2008-07-12 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nakkaya@gmail.com writes:

> i used to use it with pop. so i can say that they work. take a look at
> the following article.

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6449

> right now i use it with imap and do not have my old configuration.

Well, I don't see anything wrong with my configuration. And this
configuration worked with Emacs 21. It stopped working with Emacs 22.
And apparently some other people using Debian Lenny have this problem.

--
"The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do
nothing."

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14641.1215897984.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-12 22:31                     ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-07-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

maybe its a bug with 22 have you tried building from the CVS.
i have 23 build from CVS on my debian lenny although i use imap  i did
not notice any trouble. maybe you can try building 23 on a separate
location that does not mess with your system installed emacs and try
your configuration on 23.
--
Nurullah Akkaya

* Re: emacs 22.2 with gmail POP
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.14641.1215897984.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-13 13:00                     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-07-13 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandru Cardaniuc schrieb:
> nakkaya@gmail.com writes:

> > right now i use it with imap and do not have my old configuration.
>
> Well, I don't see anything wrong with my configuration. And this
> configuration worked with Emacs 21. It stopped working with Emacs 22.
> And apparently some other people using Debian Lenny have this problem.

I asked google, I tried the Debian BTS.
But these days, most people use imap.
I will ask on debian.user if anyone can confirm
problems.

memnon