all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Managing lots of source files (e.g. subroutines and functions)
@ 2009-01-27  9:01 Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2009-01-27  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I recently started to work an large project which is written in
Fortran90.  It includes a lot of different source files included in just
one folder.  Is there a way to make emacs scan this folder and create
some kind of procedure or subroutine or function list? I would like to
be able to directly move to the file where e.g. the function I'm
interested in is written.

In addition a list of variables would be nice too.

Any idea?

Thanks

Sebastian

* Re: Managing lots of source files (e.g. subroutines and functions)
@ 2009-01-27 10:01 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-01-27 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Schubert <schubert.seb@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I recently started to work an large project which is written in
> Fortran90.  It includes a lot of different source files included in just
> one folder.  Is there a way to make emacs scan this folder and create
> some kind of procedure or subroutine or function list? I would like to
> be able to directly move to the file where e.g. the function I'm
> interested in is written.
>
> In addition a list of variables would be nice too.
>
> Any idea?

The basic feature can be provided by etag(1)

First, you build a TAGS file:

find $source_directory -name \*.f -print0 | xargs -0 etags -a -o $source_directory/TAGS {}

then you can use it for example, by typing M-. on a function name.
The first time it'll ask what TAGS file you want (specify the one you
just created).  Then it will jump to the source of the function.

Otherwise, you could use cedet (http://cedet.sourceforge.net) but it
seems there's no Fortran parser yet.  You could write one.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Managing lots of source files (e.g. subroutines and functions)
@ 2009-01-27 10:17   ` Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2009-01-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>> Is there a way to make emacs scan this folder and create some kind of
>> procedure or subroutine or function list? I would like to be able to
>> directly move to the file where e.g. the function I'm interested in
>> is written.

> The basic feature can be provided by etag(1)
>
> First, you build a TAGS file:
>
> find $source_directory -name \*.f -print0 | xargs -0 etags -a -o $source_directory/TAGS {}
>
> then you can use it for example, by typing M-. on a function name.
> The first time it'll ask what TAGS file you want (specify the one you
> just created).  Then it will jump to the source of the function.

That's what I wanted to have.  Thank you.

> Otherwise, you could use cedet (http://cedet.sourceforge.net) but it
> seems there's no Fortran parser yet.  You could write one.

I'll give it a try although I felt too stupid to use it the last time I
tried it.  I never understood what was going on... ;)

Cheers

@ 2009-01-27 15:05   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-01-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Sebastian Schubert <schubert.seb@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently started to work an large project which is written in
>> Fortran90.  It includes a lot of different source files included in just
>> one folder.  Is there a way to make emacs scan this folder and create
>> some kind of procedure or subroutine or function list? I would like to
>> be able to directly move to the file where e.g. the function I'm
>> interested in is written.
>>
>> In addition a list of variables would be nice too.
>>
>> Any idea?
>

> The basic feature can be provided by etag(1)
>
> First, you build a TAGS file:
>
> find $source_directory -name \*.f -print0 | xargs -0 etags -a -o $source_directory/TAGS {}

NOTE:
If you use traverslisp.el, you can build a TAGS file easily from the
root of project with `traverse-build-tags-in-project'

> then you can use it for example, by typing M-. on a function name.
> The first time it'll ask what TAGS file you want (specify the one you
> just created).  Then it will jump to the source of the function.
>

> Otherwise, you could use cedet (http://cedet.sourceforge.net) but it
> seems there's no Fortran parser yet.  You could write one.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France