Mats Löfdahl writes: > I then started a fresh emacs and did the double attempt to connect as > root. To me it looked just like last time but I've uploaded the debug > buffer anyway: http://www.solarphysics.kva.se/~mats/debug3.txt Things progress. Still an error, but at another place. Tramp has two problems with your Busybox: it echoes the commands, and it is slow. This case, when Tramp has send "PS1='$ '", only the "PS1='$" substring was visible in the output buffer, and Tramp thought it is a shell prompt. Then it has sent the next command, and it began to be confused by the not read characters. So we must convince Tramp there isn't a shell prompt, even if the command itself is echoed, and even if only a substring of the whole command is visible. The appended patch tries to catch this situation. Could you, please, test? Thanks, and best regards, Michael.