all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and parent directory Makefile
@ 2010-07-09 16:51 Stéphane Maniaci
From: Stéphane Maniaci @ 2010-07-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My project uses non-recursive Makefile, thus there is only (at the moment) a
single Makefile in my project root tree, that compiles (with Autotools) all
my sources files, located in the src/ directory.

Now the problem is : when I'm editing my code and tries to compile it (M-x
compile), I have to use 'make -k -C ../', which works fine, but Emacs
doesn't know anymore which files contains error. When trying to move to last
error, it outputs this :

Find this error in (default src/ease-about-dialog.vala): ~/build/ease/src/

Does anyone have a workaround for this ?

Thank you,

Stéphane.

* Re: Emacs and parent directory Makefile
@ 2010-07-10  5:13 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2010-07-10  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stéphane Maniaci; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stéphane Maniaci wrote:
> Now the problem is : when I'm editing my code and tries to compile it (M-x
> compile), I have to use 'make -k -C ../', which works fine, but Emacs
> doesn't know anymore which files contains error.

It might be easier to simply run the compile from the root of the
source directory.  Then the Makefile will be present and all of the
generated filenames will be correct.  If you don't have any particular
file to edit then just edit the top level directory with dired and
launch the compile from there.

Bob

* Re: Emacs and parent directory Makefile
@ 2010-07-10  7:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-07-10  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:51:19 -0500
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Maniaci?= <stephane.maniaci@gmail.com>
>
> My project uses non-recursive Makefile, thus there is only (at the moment) a
> single Makefile in my project root tree, that compiles (with Autotools) all
> my sources files, located in the src/ directory.
>
> Now the problem is : when I'm editing my code and tries to compile it (M-x
> compile), I have to use 'make -k -C ../', which works fine, but Emacs
> doesn't know anymore which files contains error. When trying to move to last
> error, it outputs this :
>
> Find this error in (default src/ease-about-dialog.vala): ~/build/ease/src/
>
> Does anyone have a workaround for this ?

Switch to the buffer that visits your top-level Makefile, before
typing "M-x compile".

* Re: Emacs and parent directory Makefile
@ 2010-07-10 10:58   ` Bastian Beischer
From: Bastian Beischer @ 2010-07-10 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have this in my .emacs:

(defun my-compile ()
  "This command is meant to step out of the include/src directories on
compilation. Useful for compiling projects without cd-ing to the correct
Makefile path."
  (interactive)
  (let ((last-directory default-directory))
    (if (string-match "\\(\/src\/\\|\/include\/\\)$" default-directory)
        (cd (replace-regexp-in-string "\\(\/src\/\\|\/include\/\\)$" "/"
default-directory)))
    (call-interactively 'compile)
    (cd last-directory)))

(define-key c++-mode-map (kbd "<f9>") 'my-compile)

Far from perfect, but it's a start and works very well for me.

Cheers
Bastian

--
Bastian Beischer

I. Physikalisches Institut B (RWTH Aachen)
Sommerfeldstr. 14
52074 Aachen
GERMANY

Office: 28-C-203
Phone: +49 241 - 8027205

* Re: Emacs and parent directory Makefile
@ 2010-07-10 23:08 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2010-07-10 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 09 2010, Stéphane Maniaci wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My project uses non-recursive Makefile, thus there is only (at the
> moment) a single Makefile in my project root tree, that compiles (with
> Autotools) all my sources files, located in the src/ directory.
>
> Now the problem is : when I'm editing my code and tries to compile it
> (M-x compile), I have to use 'make -k -C ../', which works fine, but
> Emacs doesn't know anymore which files contains error. When trying to
> move to last error, it outputs this :

I use the elisp code at

<http://git.hacks-galore.org/gitweb/jao?p=emacs.git;a=blob;f=custom/jao-compile.el;hb=master>

When one calls jao-compile on a source buffer, it looks upwards the
directory tree until it encounters a Makefile, or some other file
indicating that the top dir of the source has been found. Then it puts
itself in the right directory (where, in my case, 'right' means the
corresponding compilation directory, i.e., 'build' because i compile
off-tree).

Perhaps you could adapt the code above (its 'finding the right
directory' logic) to your needs.

HTH,
jao
--
Lisp has assisted a number of our most gifted fellow humans in
thinking previously impossible thoughts. —Edsger Dijkstra

* Re: Emacs and parent directory Makefile
@ 2010-07-12  2:24   ` Stéphane Maniaci
From: Stéphane Maniaci @ 2010-07-12  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bob Proulx, Stéphane Maniaci, help-gnu-emacs

That works perfectly, sorry for not thinking about this before! Thank you
very much!

Stéphane.

@ 2010-07-12  9:16     ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2010-07-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

are you all running make in silent mode? If I use make -C to build my
projects (and I do that for all of them) compilation-mode has no
problem to match the error reports to the originating files, because
make prints messages like "make: Entering directory
`/home/geralt/testproj'" whenever it changes it working directory (and
with -C it's the first thing that make prints).

However if you compile with the -s flag or the .SILENT target in my
makefile I don't get these directory change notification messages and
compilation-mode is no longer able to match error reports to the
originating files.

HTH,

Geralt.