all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-15 17:47 S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-03-15 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

finding and saving files (C-xC-f and C-xC-s) that are under git control is slow
on my system.

It's of the order of a second, which is terrible.

Anyone noticed this?

I see this slow response time even when I start emacs -nw -q.

Things are snappy with files not under git.

I haven't dug in the emacs git code yet, and am hoping I won't have to :-)

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-16 17:38 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2011-03-16 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: S Boucher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> writes:

> finding and saving files (C-xC-f and C-xC-s) that are under git control is slow
> on my system.
>
> It's of the order of a second, which is terrible.
>
> Anyone noticed this?

Me not.

> I see this slow response time even when I start emacs -nw -q.
>
> Things are snappy with files not under git.
>
> I haven't dug in the emacs git code yet, and am hoping I won't have to :-)

Emacs version?

OS?

Machine specs?

Git version?

Are your files on a NFS volume?

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
       [not found] <mailman.7.1300211247.26153.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-16 17:45 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2011-03-16 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> writes:

> finding and saving files (C-xC-f and C-xC-s) that are under git control is slow
> on my system.
>
> It's of the order of a second, which is terrible.
>
> Anyone noticed this?
>
> I see this slow response time even when I start emacs -nw -q.
>
> Things are snappy with files not under git.
>
> I haven't dug in the emacs git code yet, and am hoping I won't have to :-)

I don't use git, but is it possible that it's checking with repositories
to get the file's current status?  If it needs to consult with remote
machines, a second of latency is perfectly understandable.

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-16 18:29   ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-03-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> >  finding and saving files (C-xC-f and C-xC-s) that are under git control is
>slow
>
> > on my system.
> >
> > It's of the order of a second, which is  terrible.
> >
> > Anyone noticed this?
>
> Me not.
>
> > I see  this slow response time even when I start emacs -nw -q.
> >
> > Things  are snappy with files not under git.
> >
> > I haven't dug in the emacs  git code yet, and am hoping I won't have to :-)
>
> Emacs  version?  OS? Machine specs? Git version? Are your  files on a NFS
>volume?

System 1:
Core2 Duo 6400@2.13GHz
4G ram
Ubuntu 10.10 64bit
kernel 2.6.35-27-generic
emacs 23.2
git 1.7.1
local ext3 filesystems

System 2 (less precise because I'm not on that system right now):
quad core intel
8G ram
Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
local ext4 filesystem
emacs 23.2
git ? (version included with 10.04)

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-16 18:40     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2011-03-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: S Boucher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> writes:

> >  finding and saving files (C-xC-f and C-xC-s) that are under git control is
> > slow
> > on my system.
> >
> > It's of the order of a second, which is  terrible.
> >
> > Anyone noticed this?
>
> Me not.
>
> > I see  this slow response time even when I start emacs -nw -q.
> >
> > Things  are snappy with files not under git.
> >
> > I haven't dug in the emacs  git code yet, and am hoping I won't have to :-)
>
> Emacs  version?  OS? Machine specs? Git version? Are your  files on a NFS
> volume?
>
> System 1:
> Core2 Duo 6400@2.13GHz
> 4G ram
> Ubuntu 10.10 64bit
> kernel 2.6.35-27-generic
> emacs 23.2
> git 1.7.1
> local ext3 filesystems
>
> System 2 (less precise because I'm not on that system right now):
> quad core intel
> 8G ram
> Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
> local ext4 filesystem
> emacs 23.2
> git ? (version included with 10.04)

I would understand a bit of a lag if you were running Windows on a
netbook, but running git on those machines with GNU/Linux is practically
instantaneous.

Can you replicate the problem with emacs -Q ? How fast `git status'
executes from the directories where one of those files are?

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-16 19:21       ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-03-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I would understand a bit  of a lag if you were running Windows on a
> netbook, but running git on those  machines with GNU/Linux is practically
> instantaneous.
>
> Can you  replicate the problem with emacs -Q ? How fast `git status'
> executes from the  directories where one of those files are?

This is a git repository tracking webkit:

$ time git status
--snip--
real    0m2.321s
user    0m1.460s
sys    0m0.820s

$ time git status Widget.h
--snip--
real    0m0.490s
user    0m0.410s
sys    0m0.050s

Just checked with a smaller git repository (i.e. with ~100files), and things are
supper fast:

$ time git status
--snip--
real    0m0.015s
user    0m0.010s
sys    0m0.000s

With emacs -Q: in a repository tracking webkit things are slow.  In a repo
tracking a small project, things are fast.

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-18 18:52         ` Alex Bennee
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3.1300479917.31996.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alex Bennee @ 2011-03-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: S Boucher; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, help-gnu-emacs

On 16 March 2011 19:21, S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks, I think you have just identified were the mysterious stalls I
was seeing when switching between two GIT controlled directories came
from. Anyway if you don't actually care about VC based git support
it's easy enough to disable as I do as I use magit for repo
interaction:

(when (locate-library "magit")
      (remq 'Git vc-handled-backends)
      (autoload 'magit-status "magit" "magit front end" t))

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk

* Re: Emacs with git slow?
@ 2011-03-18 19:26           ` S Boucher
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3.1300479917.31996.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: S Boucher @ 2011-03-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alex Bennee; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, help-gnu-emacs

From: Steph @ 2011-03-18 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For those who have an interest in this, I've filed a bug: