all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired rename backup file too
@ 2011-03-21  0:20 Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2011-03-21  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When renaming a file with dired "R" (dired-do-rename), I'd like it to
rename the backup file too.  So foo -> bar and foo~ -> bar~.  Is there a
secret option or other command to do that?

I only use the single foo~ backup style, not the numbered backups, if
that makes it easier.

* Re: dired rename backup file too
@ 2011-03-21  8:01 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2011-03-21  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user42, help-gnu-emacs

 > When renaming a file with dired "R" (dired-do-rename), I'd like it to
 > rename the backup file too.  So foo -> bar and foo~ -> bar~.  Is there a
 > secret option or other command to do that?
 >
 > I only use the single foo~ backup style, not the numbered backups, if
 > that makes it easier.

I think such an option would make sense for `rename-file' itself.  And
it should handle any kinds of backups Emacs recognizes.

martin

[parent not found: <mailman.4.1300670284.14871.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]