all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can one make emacs23 always split vertically?
@ 2011-05-10 12:03 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-05-10 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

With emacs23, when the window is wide, on commands like `M-x occur RET'
and `M-x grep RET' emacs will split horizontally and show the results in
the right window.

I find that behaviour very annoying.  Does anyone know the magic elisp
incantations to make emacs always splut vertically?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Can one make emacs23 always split vertically?
@ 2011-05-10 12:20 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-05-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I find that behaviour very annoying.  Does anyone know the magic elisp
> incantations to make emacs always splut vertically?
(setq split-width-threshold nil)
--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: Can one make emacs23 always split vertically?
@ 2011-05-10 15:29   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-05-10 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On May 10, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>
>> I find that behaviour very annoying.  Does anyone know the magic elisp
>> incantations to make emacs always splut vertically?
> (setq split-width-threshold nil)

There is a thread on this just a month or two back.  Setting it to nil is the recommended way.  I find that setting it to something large works better for me.  I have mine set to 1600.

HTH,
pedz

* Re: Can one make emacs23 always split vertically?
@ 2011-05-12 17:28     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-05-12 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On May 10, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

>> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>>> I find that behaviour very annoying.  Does anyone know the magic
>>> elisp incantations to make emacs always splut vertically?

>> (setq split-width-threshold nil)

> There is a thread on this just a month or two back.  Setting it to nil
> is the recommended way.  I find that setting it to something large
> works better for me.  I have mine set to 1600.

Thanx to both!  I've customized it to nil, and that worked fine for me.