all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* git push with vc (or other)?
@ 2012-04-13  2:11 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2012-04-13  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to do remote-related git operations (e.g., push to github) from
emacs? Why I ask:

I'm running

$ lsb_release -ds
Linux Mint Debian Edition
$ uname -rv
3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011
$ emacs-snapshot --version
GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1

which is up-to-date with emacs.naquadah.org:stable. I've been using
git from the commandline for awhile, but not from emacs, which seemed
odd since I do most everything else from emacs. So I've been playing
with vc-mode and git's git.el (after installing package=git-el), and
have been able to do everything I need with my local repository.
However I want to push some code committed locally to a github remote,
and

* I can do this from the commandline

* I know I have code committed locally that has not been pushed

* vc-mode knows my remote: e.g.,

*vc-dir*
> VC backend : Git
> Working dir: ~/path/to/local/working/dir
> Branch     : master
> Remote     : https://me@github.com/me/project.git
> Stash      : Nothing stashed

  which is all correct.

* I see (emacs)>Maintaining>Version Control>Branches>VC Pull

But I'm not seeing anything in `info` or the mode help (for either vc
or git.el) about pushing. Can this be done from emacs? Is there an
extension I need to install?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: git push with vc (or other)?
@ 2012-04-13  2:14 ` XeCycle
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: XeCycle @ 2012-04-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> How to do remote-related git operations (e.g., push to github) from
> emacs? Why I ask:

[...]

> But I'm not seeing anything in `info` or the mode help (for either vc
> or git.el) about pushing. Can this be done from emacs? Is there an
> extension I need to install?

For complicated tasks, vc-mode won't do.  Try Magit.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: git push with vc (or other)?
@ 2012-04-13  9:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1313.1334327173.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:11:36 -0400
>
> * I can do this from the commandline
>
> * I know I have code committed locally that has not been pushed
>
> * vc-mode knows my remote: e.g.,
>
> *vc-dir*
> > VC backend : Git
> > Working dir: ~/path/to/local/working/dir
> > Branch     : master
> > Remote     : https://me@github.com/me/project.git
> > Stash      : Nothing stashed
>
>   which is all correct.
>
> * I see (emacs)>Maintaining>Version Control>Branches>VC Pull
>
> But I'm not seeing anything in `info` or the mode help (for either vc
> or git.el) about pushing. Can this be done from emacs? Is there an
> extension I need to install?

Does "C-x v v" do what you want?  It should generally do whatever the
next VC operation is that one would normally want.

* Re: git push with vc (or other)?
@ 2012-04-13  9:47   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:14:55 +0800
>
> For complicated tasks, vc-mode won't do.  Try Magit.

FUD.

* Re: git push with vc (or other)?
@ 2012-04-13 14:31 ` Tom Roche
       [not found] ` <mailman.1313.1334327173.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tom Roche @ 2012-04-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:11:36 -0400
>> * I know I have code committed locally that has not been pushed

>> * vc-mode knows my remote: e.g.,

>> *vc-dir*
>> > VC backend : Git
>> > Working dir: ~/path/to/local/working/dir
>> > Branch     : master
>> > Remote     : https://me@github.com/me/project.git
>> > Stash      : Nothing stashed

>>   which is all correct.

>> * I see (emacs)>Maintaining>Version Control>Branches>VC Pull

>> But I'm not seeing anything in `info` or the mode help (for either
>> vc or git.el) about pushing. Can this be done from emacs? Is there
>> an extension I need to install?

Eli Zaretskii Fri, 13 Apr 2012 12:47:35 +0300
> Does "C-x v v" do what you want? It should generally do whatever the
> next VC operation is that one would normally want.

Apparently not in this case. When I'm in *vc-dir* with clean status
(i.e., everything committed) and do `C-x v v`, I get the message

*Messages*
> Registering (~/path/to/local/working/dir)... done

(which means nothing to me) and there is no change on github.

Am I doing something wrongly, or is this a bug? If so, I can file one.
It does seem like vc-git is pretty much fully functional for "the
normal git usecases," i.e., {init, status, add, rm, commit, pull,
push}, except for the latter.

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: git push with vc (or other)?
       [not found] ` <mailman.1313.1334327173.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-04-13 15:12   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> For complicated tasks, vc-mode won't do.  Try Magit.
> FUD.

FWIW, I don't think it's FUD.  VC currently only supports a very limited
set of operations.
It doesn't have to stay that way, but there's a lot of work to be done
in VC to be a worthy replacement for things like PCL-CVS.

* Re: git push with vc (or other)?
@ 2012-04-15  2:03     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2012-04-15  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> For complicated tasks, vc-mode won't do.  Try Magit.
>> FUD.
>
> FWIW, I don't think it's FUD.  VC currently only supports a very limited
> set of operations.
> It doesn't have to stay that way, but there's a lot of work to be done
> in VC to be a worthy replacement for things like PCL-CVS.

And if VC becomes as good as PCL-CVS for CVS, it doesn't mean that it is
ready for competing with alternative packages specifically made for
other VCS.

The issue is that popular VCS nowadays are different enough that
providing a single, efficient interface that covers all of them is
*very* hard, if possible at all. You can do a UI as good as PCL-CVS and
psvn.el are for CVS and svn, respectively. But something that covers svn
and git, or even bzr and git...