pinkiesOut writes: > Although tab completion in eshell works on my local system, > pressing tab when connected to another machine over ssh results > in the insertion of a literal tab character. Running pcomplete > manually with M-x produces the same result, confirming that the > function is properly bound to my tab key. Some friendly folks at > #emacs point out that tab completion in eshell should just work > over ssh. > > Oddly, I do not have this problem when connecting to the same > server using term or ansi-term mode. Does anyone have an idea of > what might be breaking this functionality? It doesn't know which program you're running. It simply assumes a command-line program, which is true --- you are talking to your login shell. Since Eshell doesn't have a `char-mode' like term does, it sends your input line by line, so it ends up as a literal tab. Use `cd /ssh:user@host:'. -- Carl Lei (XeCycle) Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University OpenPGP public key: 7795E591 Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591