all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* speck with gnus timer error
@ 2012-08-16 19:14 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2012-08-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using speck (http://www.emacswiki.org/SpeckMode) as my
spell-checking package for a while now without any problem.

Recently, I've started to see error messages when i start composing a
message in gnus :

  signal(error ("Invalid timer"))
  error("Invalid timer")
  timer-set-function([t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil] speck-windows (t))
  speck-activate()
  speck-mode(1)
  (lambda nil (speck-mode 1) (setq speck-filter-mode (quote Email)))()
  run-hooks(change-major-mode-after-body-hook text-mode-hook message-mode-hook)
  apply(run-hooks (change-major-mode-after-body-hook text-mode-hook message-mode-hook))
  run-mode-hooks(message-mode-hook)
  message-mode()
  message-pop-to-buffer("*unsent mail*" nil)
  message-mail()
  gnus-group-mail(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-mail nil nil)

I'm not sure this problem is related to a change in gnus or emacs, has
anybody seen something similar ?

Also, I've started using speck because I was disatisfied with myspell
freezing emacs very often. What spell checking system would you
recommand that would work with LateX, gnus ?

Thanks for your help.

* Re: speck with gnus timer error
       [not found] <mailman.7119.1345145625.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-09-04 17:18 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-09-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I've been using speck (http://www.emacswiki.org/SpeckMode) as my
> spell-checking package for a while now without any problem.

[...]

>   signal(error ("Invalid timer"))
>   error("Invalid timer")
>   timer-set-function([t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil] speck-windows (t))
>   speck-activate()
>   speck-mode(1)

If you eval

(speck-mode 1)

directly, does it give you an error?  If so, perhaps the mode is
outdated for Emacs 24?

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Emacs

* Re: speck with gnus timer error
@ 2012-09-05  9:43 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2012-09-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 > I've been using speck (http://www.emacswiki.org/SpeckMode) as my
 > spell-checking package for a while now without any problem.

[...]

 >   signal(error ("Invalid timer"))
 >   error("Invalid timer")
 >   timer-set-function([t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil] speck-windows (t))
 >   speck-activate()
 >   speck-mode(1)

Replying via the reply sent by Lars since I can't see the original
message: This must have happened when timer.el was converted to cl-lib
in June.

Please add somehwere at the beginning of speck.el the line

(require 'timer)

recompile and tell me whether it works.

Thanks, martin