all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remote access from Windoze
@ 2013-01-24  9:04 Hilary
From: Hilary @ 2013-01-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I try

find-file /me@a.b.c.d:/

from emacs on a WinXP box (with PuTTY properly installed), it prompts

Password for /pscp:me@a.b.c.d:

after entering the password and a long pause, I get

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell

and nothing more. It's freed by C-g, when it asks for a password again.

When I try the exact same find-file command from emacs on Debian in
VirtualBox on the same Winny box, it works perfectly. Winny emacs never
gets to the

Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `a.b.c.d'

message which Debian emacs has. Have I missed something about emacs
and/or plink?

--
Hilary

* Re: Remote access from Windoze
@ 2013-01-24 10:20 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-01-24 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hilary; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hilary <hils@newearth.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

Hi Hilary,

> When I try
>
> find-file /me@a.b.c.d:/
>
> from emacs on a WinXP box (with PuTTY properly installed), it prompts
>
> Password for /pscp:me@a.b.c.d:
>
> after entering the password and a long pause, I get
>
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>
> and nothing more. It's freed by C-g, when it asks for a password again.
>
> When I try the exact same find-file command from emacs on Debian in
> VirtualBox on the same Winny box, it works perfectly. Winny emacs
> never gets to the
>
> Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `a.b.c.d'
>
> message which Debian emacs has. Have I missed something about emacs
> and/or plink?

It should work, as you have described. Could you, please, apply

(setq tramp-verbose 6)

and rerun your test? There will be a buffer "*debug tramp/pscp me@a.b.c.d*"
which could tell us more. If you care about sensitive information, you
could send it to me off-list. For sure, it won't contain passwords or alike.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Remote access from Windoze
@ 2013-01-24 10:21 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-01-24 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Hilary,

Hilary wrote:
> When I try
>
> find-file /me@a.b.c.d:/
>
> from emacs on a WinXP box (with PuTTY properly installed), it prompts
>
> Password for /pscp:me@a.b.c.d:
>
> after entering the password and a long pause, I get
>
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>
> and nothing more. It's freed by C-g, when it asks for a password again.
>
> When I try the exact same find-file command from emacs on Debian in VirtualBox
> on the same Winny box, it works perfectly. Winny emacs never gets to the
>
> Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `a.b.c.d'
>
> message which Debian emacs has. Have I missed something about emacs and/or
> plink?

I remember having _similar_ troubles when having "complex" prompt patterns on
the SSH'ed box. By complex, I mean: with colors or multilines, for example.
With no special configuration, Tramp can't recognize such prompts. So, the
idea is to try with the minimalistic prompt on the accessed box (such as "$").

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban