all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* interactive tutorial
@ 2013-03-22 11:11 drain
From: drain @ 2013-03-22 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Is there any kind of interactive tutorial? I'm trying my best to force
Emacs onto some of my non-programmer friends (e.g., writers, linguists,
etc.), but without much success. The problem is, in their cases, org-mode
is the target functionality, but it is built on a substrate of Emacs
commands.

Thus, it would be nice if there were a gaming-style tutorial in which the
user must press keys in certain combinations to progress, e.g., he must
successfully delete paragraphs using certain commands, in a certain
combination, and only then would he be permitted to go to Level Two in the
tutorial. He could even be given scores for timing and precision. This
would be like the mini-games in SEGA's Crazy Taxi for Dreamcast.

Anyway, at a certain point I think if they are too lazy to learn Emacs the
hard way, then they are unworthy of Emacs; but I still think a mechanism to
flatten out the learning curve would be nice. And plus I always thought it
would be amusing for Emacs users to compete in Emacs-based mini-games.

* Re: interactive tutorial
@ 2013-03-22 12:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-03-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.03.2013 um 12:11 schrieb drain:

> Is there any kind of interactive tutorial?

C-h t maybe?

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the weak."

* Re: interactive tutorial
@ 2013-03-22 16:26   ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-03-22 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Peter,

Appreciate the response, but I am well aware of the integrated tutorial.

This does confirm that what I had in mind does not exist. Now I can add it
to a list of things I must do.

Ruling things out is always useful,

John

@ 2013-03-23 19:50 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2013-03-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-03-22, drain wrote:

> Is there any kind of interactive tutorial? I'm trying my best to force
> Emacs onto some of my non-programmer friends (e.g., writers, linguists,
> etc.), but without much success. The problem is, in their cases, org-mode
> is the target functionality, but it is built on a substrate of Emacs
> commands.
>
> Thus, it would be nice if there were a gaming-style tutorial in which the
> user must press keys in certain combinations to progress, e.g., he must
> successfully delete paragraphs using certain commands, in a certain
> combination, and only then would he be permitted to go to Level Two in the
> tutorial. He could even be given scores for timing and precision. This
> would be like the mini-games in SEGA's Crazy Taxi for Dreamcast.
>
> Anyway, at a certain point I think if they are too lazy to learn Emacs the
> hard way, then they are unworthy of Emacs; but I still think a mechanism to
> flatten out the learning curve would be nice. And plus I always thought it
> would be amusing for Emacs users to compete in Emacs-based mini-games.

Not exactly but:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/index.html

  http://www.lisperati.com/casting-spels-emacs/html/casting-spels-emacs-1.html

--