all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto-complete: dropdown display delay
@ 2013-04-26 16:44 Miguel Guedes
From: Miguel Guedes @ 2013-04-26 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello List,

Does anyone know how to decrease the time it takes for auto-complete [0]
to display the dropdown menu in *every* instance?

I've noticed the delay I've specified in `ac-delay' and `ac-auto-show-
menu' is enforced *only* in those instances that require a trigger
character/string (e.g. `:' or `->'). However those instances that require
2 characters to be typed, the dropdown takes >3 seconds to be shown.
Doing `M-x auto-complete' results in the popup being shown immediately so
it's not like auto-complete is busy processing - the delay is being
overriden somehow.

Would appreciate some input on this as I find it a terrific programming
tool.

Here's how I set it up:

(ac-config-default)
(global-auto-complete-mode t)
(setq ac-auto-show-menu    0.2)
(setq ac-delay             0.2)
(setq ac-menu-height       20)
(setq ac-auto-start t)
(setq ac-show-menu-immediately-on-auto-complete t)

[0] http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/manual.html

* Re: auto-complete: dropdown display delay
@ 2013-04-26 18:20 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-04-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Guedes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Miguel,