all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21  7:07 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2013-06-21  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

Using '+' allows to create directories in dired-mode. When typing the
name of the new directory, 'space' does not give a space. The question
is how to get spaces in directory names then?

Of course, on can use wdired-mode to add a space after creating the
directory or use M-! foo\ bar or M-! 'foo bar' to create a directory
name with spaces, but I am wondering if there is a solution via '+'
(or is this a bug?).

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21  8:59 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-21  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: Emacs help

Am 21.06.2013 um 09:07 schrieb Marius Hofert:

> Using '+' allows to create directories in dired-mode. When typing the
> name of the new directory, 'space' does not give a space. The question
> is how to get spaces in directory names then?

Could you try it again in a GNU Emacs launched with -Q? And could you mention the version of GNU Emacs?

For me it works without any problem in GNU Emacsen 23 and 24…

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Wer nichts zu verbergen hat, hat schon alles verloren.
				(Juli Zeh)

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21 10:20   ` Vlad Piersec
From: Vlad Piersec @ 2013-06-21 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Emacs help, Marius Hofert

Use C-q before typing the space character.

--
*Vlad Piersec Alexandru*

*Tel:* +40 743 025 820

*Google Talk:* vlad.piersec

*Google+: *Profile <https://plus.google.com/109681304217886469166>
*LinkedIN:* linkedin.com/in/vladpiersec
*Twitter: *@caisah_ <http://twitter.com/#!/caisah_>
*Blog:* http://caisah.info

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21 10:31     ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2013-06-21 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vlad Piersec; +Cc: Emacs help

Dear Peter, Dear Vlad,

thanks for helping so quickly.

@Peter: indeed, with emacs -Q it works. So this could be related to
dired+ / ido-mode (probably the latter) ... I would have to
'minimalize' it to be sure

@Vlad: indeed, C-q works!

Cheers,

Marius

@ 2013-06-21 12:21 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-06-21 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: Emacs help

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:07 AM, Marius Hofert
<marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Using '+' allows to create directories in dired-mode. When typing the
> name of the new directory, 'space' does not give a space. The question
> is how to get spaces in directory names then?

To add one more solution to the mix (because this feature of ido find
file and directory is to awesome to not know about!):

At the prompt, type `C-f` to get out of ido mode and drop down to
regular entry. I find this way easier than quoting each of the ` `
chars I want to insert.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
       [not found] <mailman.2123.1371798504.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-21 12:33 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-21 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> Using '+' allows to create directories in dired-mode. When
> typing the name of the new directory, 'space' does not give a
> space. The question is how to get spaces in directory names
> then?

OK, you wanted it to work, and you got answers how to make it
work. But - why would you want spaces in file names? Wouldn't that
just lead to confusion (on `ls', you think it is two files) and
inconvenience (having to escape spaces in the shell)?

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21 12:34       ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2143.1371827179.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> @Peter: indeed, with emacs -Q it works. So this could be related to
> dired+ / ido-mode (probably the latter) ... I would have to
> 'minimalize' it to be sure

Historically, Emacs has used the SPC to perform completion in the
minibuffer (similar to TAB, tho subtly different).  This was changed
somewhere around Emacs-22/23 so SPC is "normal" when entering file names
(but still performs completion for most/all other minibuffer entries
where completion can be used).

Apparently, the same change was not applied to the IDO code.

As for why SPC is used for completion?  In the Unix world, SPC is/was
used as a separator, rarely/never within a name, so SPC in filenames
under Unix is/was traditionally rare.

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21 13:02   ` notbob
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2159.1371842500.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: notbob @ 2013-06-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-06-21, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> OK, you wanted it to work, and you got answers how to make it
> work. But - why would you want spaces in file names?

Perhaps he's using emacs in Windows.  Regardless, I have emacs 23 on
Slackware and it puts spaces in dir names, matter-of-factly.  Not that
I ever do use spaces, but interesting to note it does work.

nb

* Re: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21 13:23     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

>> OK, you wanted it to work, and you got answers how to make it
>> work. But - why would you want spaces in file names?
>
> Perhaps he's using emacs in Windows.  Regardless, I have emacs
> 23 on Slackware and it puts spaces in dir names,
> matter-of-factly.  Not that I ever do use spaces, but
> interesting to note it does work.

Yes, my take is that everything that is possible to do, you should
be able to do, and it doesn't matter if this is the right thing to
do or not. If you can do it, perhaps doing it will convince you
that it's not a good idea. If you can't do it, just because some
know-it-all on some forum says it is bad practice (and not because
you simply can't, for technical reasons), well, this will only get
you pissed off.

And the Unix world seems to be quite liberal on what can (rather
than "can't be") a filename. That said, again, spaces in filenames
seems to be a bad idea.

To perhaps press the argument, imagine this - not with filenames,
but variable names in code -

int apples in store = 5;

Not pretty!

--

@ 2013-06-21 13:42   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2013-06-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: Emacs help

... or C-b on C-x b for reverting to 'standard completion' (for buffers).

@ 2013-06-21 15:03       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-06-21 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert, Vlad Piersec; +Cc: Emacs help

> @Peter: indeed, with emacs -Q it works. So this could be related to
> dired+ / ido-mode (probably the latter) ... I would have to
> 'minimalize' it to be sure

Dired+ should not present a problem (works for me).
And you should not need to use C-q either.

* RE: How to create a directory containing spaces in dired-mode?
@ 2013-06-21 15:06         ` Drew Adams
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2143.1371827179.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-06-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> As for why SPC is used for completion?  In the Unix world, SPC is/was
> used as a separator, rarely/never within a name, so SPC in filenames
> under Unix is/was traditionally rare.

An additional reason, I think, was that hitting the space bar is convenient.

For the same reason, SPC is used in Info to page forward through a manual.

@ 2013-06-21 15:17           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-21 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> For the same reason, SPC is used in Info to page forward through
> a manual.

Yes, and in all pagers I can think of: man, more, less, w3m, ...

--

@ 2013-06-21 18:11         ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2013-06-21 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Vlad Piersec, Emacs help

Okay, I minimalized the example. The problem appears when using ido-everywhere:

(ido-mode 1) # .emacs with this line works
(ido-everywhere t)  # => fail

How to report this?

Cheers,

Marius

@ 2013-06-21 19:21   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2159.1371842500.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> inconvenience (having to escape spaces in the shell)?

Doesn't matter if you never use the shell.

        Stefan "who does use the shell"

@ 2013-06-21 22:33     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2207.1371915908.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> inconvenience (having to escape spaces in the shell)?
>>
> Doesn't matter if you never use the shell.
>
>         Stefan "who does use the shell"

But,

1) Sometime in the future you might change your mind and start
using the shell.

2) You might send you project to someone else, who does use the
shell.

--

@ 2013-06-22 15:39       ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2207.1371915908.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-22 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1) Sometime in the future you might change your mind and start
> using the shell.
> 2) You might send you project to someone else, who does use the
> shell.

But if they've never used such a thing, they don't even know that adding
spaces could be a source of problem in some other situation.

@ 2013-06-22 16:36         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-22 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But if they've never used such a thing, they don't even know
> that adding spaces could be a source of problem in some other
> situation.

Of course, solid knowledge is gained from the "doing - thinking -
doing - rethinking - etc." cycle (or blurr as it eventually ends
up).

But... a thing or two, you can know about a thing without using
it.

For example, I know just enough about Java as not to use it :)